Thursday, July 4, 2013

Freedom on the Fourth

We celebrated first thing in the morning with our own fireworks, even though it was raining. I found time for exercise, practice, and e-mail. Breakfast was precisely at 11. At 11:40 I packed up my trombone and headed to church. I met Mary, our organist. We worked out a medley of two songs, My country tis of thee, and America the Beautiful for a postlude. I tried singing a verse, but it did not feel comfortable. After I got home, I picked a cucumber for lunch and some apples that fell from the tree. I was lucky to get them before the rabbits had their one bite. I watched a few more Youtube videos to determine how big to cut the pieces for the kneelers. Some say to add seam allowances, and some say not to. I decided to split the difference. It took quite some time to cut out the pieces I needed for the first kneeler - the one I took apart. I was determined to leave space at the end of each row for strips of boxing and zipper inserts. The man we ordered zippers from loaded the first pull, so that was not a problem (he sent a 10 yard zipper and a bag of pulls). When I had all the pieces cut, I sewed the piping to the top layer and the bottom layer. I did not tailor the ends in case I had to adjust them later when I added the boxing strip. I came up to watch videos on how to assemble the zipper insert. There are several methods so I had to pick one. By then it was after 8, so we decided to start the movie "Mists of Avalon", courtesy of Netflix. Three hours later, it was finished and I was all teary because almost everyone died. It was also after 11 and time for bed. Chris got his clothes ready for work tomorrow. As I write this, I can hear people setting off fireworks, but none that show above all the trees.
* This is Louise's last quilt - the one I wrote about on Monday *

No comments: