Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Grounded, and for no good reason

Sometime in the middle of the night, my back seized. I remember thinking 'don't stretch and yawn'. I was not able to go back to sleep. I heard Chris' alarm go off at 5:30. I heard him get up after 6. I kept lying there, doing mental exercises, hoping the pain and tendency to seize would go away. It did not. When I got up, which was an exercise in itself, I worked my way to the dining room to read e-mail. I tied a winter scarf around my waist and placed a bag of frozen fruit in it against my back. When it came time for heat, I could not find my heating pad. Chris suggested microwaving a wet washcloth. So I put one in a zipped bag and heated it. That process went on all day. Hot, cold, repeat. Did it help? Not enough for me to go to the farmer's market or to mow the lawn. I did, however, work on a kneeler, lay in the sun, sweep spiderwebs from the doorway, and listen to audios. I even practiced my trombone, but that did not last long.  I juiced a redbeet, the humongous cucumber and some celery.  It probably made 2 cups of juice, but I don't know because I kept sucking it out with a straw as the glass filled up.  I managed to wrestle the gallon jar of kimchi out of the fridge and onto the floor. I put a plate under it to catch liquid as it fermented. Chris moved it to the counter when he got home. I was lying in bed at the time, worn out from working around the pain. I got up to check the garden, gingerly, and found a tomato. I left the cucumber for tomorrow. We had supper and then read more e-mail. We were going to go downstairs to watch Chuck, but for some reason I couldn't make it down the steps. So we listened to more of the book on CD, lying on our bed. When disc 12 was finished, Chris moved my laptop back to the diningroom and we went to sleep.
*  This is a pic of Doris' quilt, taken Monday  *

No comments: