Friday, July 5, 2013

Is there a prayer for kneelers?


It was almost 9:30 when I got up. I was having a dream about my mother going missing. Rebecca was scheduled to come over at 10 so I didn't have a lot of time to get ready. I was going to clean the diningroom table and discovered that the box of origami date papers had fallen and the floor was covered. I picked them up, exercised and practiced my trombone. I started checking e-mail while I waited. At first I thought she was late and later concluded that she wasn't coming. This makes the 5th time. It was just as well 'cause I wanted to finish the kneeler. To give it my full attention I had to finish checking e-mail and have breakfast. I also took out the recyclables when I saw that all the neighbors had theirs out. I began by sewing the side strips onto the zipper. I accidentally ran the zipper pull too far and it came off. It was not easy to get it back on, but eventually I did. I sewed the zipper piece to the boxing piece. And then it was time to sew it all to the top. Not simple, nor easy, especially with the cording not joined. My machine started making a funny clacking sound. I exposed the bobbin area and tightened some screws and removed some lint. That helped, but something was still amiss. That machine was not built to sew through so many thick layers. But, ha ha, I have Grandma's machine. Solid metal. Heavy as sin. Will sew through anything, even a finger, without so much as a 'by your leave'. I found its zipper foot, but needed a wrench to get off the regular foot. I wound one of its bobbins with upholstery thread and put in a #16 needle. I was ready to sew! And it sewed soundlessly and solidly until the knee pedal started to crackle and pop. I finished the top in short bursts. With my finger wrapped in a paper towel, I pinned on the bottom. It did not fit exactly, probably because I snugged up the cording to make the corners neater. To get it just right, I 'pinned' it on with binder clips (pins couldn't handle the job) and hand-basted it all the way around. Then I sewed 3 of 4 sides before the knee pedal overheated. Great, now I have ruined two machines. I called my dad to see if there was a knee pedal at his house, but there wasn't. He told me all about his last two days. By the time the call ended, the pedal had cooled down and I finished the bottom. Ah, it was finished! But no, there were a couple of oops that had to be taken out and re-done. And I want to serge the seams, IF my serger can handle the thickness. But it was after supper and I wanted to take a break and watch TV. Guess what we watched? Chuck. At least 4 episodes. Chris went to bed after that and I wrote this post and realized that it makes the sewing fiasco sound a lot easier than it was.
* I don't have a pic of the kneeler yet, so here is one of my daily supplements, which I forget to take occasionally. *

No comments: