Saturday, November 9, 2013

I'm a magnet for fabric

Chris got up early to get nitrogen put in his tires at the dealership. I got up later to read e-mail, swish, shower and eat breakfast. I watched a documentary on how antibiotics are becoming less and less effective, and that research into new antibiotics is dwindling because there is little profit in a drug that is only used for short periods of time. I packed a lunch while Chris left for the library. By the time he returned, I was gone. I went to the usual Monday place, but saw a few different faces because this was a guild stitch-in, to make quilts for a boys home. I brought some fish fabric, but there was plenty of fabric there to use. If I hadn't brought the fish, I might have gotten more done. As it was, I tried very hard to find fabrics that worked with the fish, and nothing really spoke to me. I trimmed fish fabric in what was left of my green, and some yellow that another lady brought. Then I auditioned backgrounds, inviting comments. There was no consensus on which background was the best, and I wasn't wowed by any of them. For lunch I ate my usual seaweed. Alice brought a large pile of subs from her restaurant. Four years ago I would have eaten several. There were also high-carb offerings. They looked good, but I resisted. At 4, those who hadn't already packed up and left, packed up and cleaned up. I was home before 5. Chris met me coming in and carried my box for me. (I left the machine in the car). The box had more fabric in it than when I left. That really wasn't my intention. But they said I could have it. So I can make more boy quilts in my spare time. Also, once Joan left, I got everyone's scraps. LOTS of scraps. When I walked in the house, there was a large roast of beef. Chris cut me a slab, and apologized over and over because it wasn't as rare as he intended and he knows I like rare. But it was just fine and I enjoyed every bite. I ate some kimchi to help digestion. THEN, he pulled sweet potatoes out of the oven. I ate the smallest one and was quite full. While he gamed with the voices, I took my laptop downstairs and plugged it in so I could listen to audios one after the other. I worked on sri yantra. I had never seen a y seam in paper piecing before, and yet that was how I cut the pattern so I had to sew it. It turned out mostly ok. After I did both of them, (the process being neither quick nor easy) I realized that I had sewn the right side on the left and the left side on the right. Thankfully it was symmetrical so it worked ok as far as I can tell. The second audio ended and I noticed that it as 10:30 – time to go to bed. Early to bed and early to rise, etc. But as I am writing this, I see the time on the laptop is only 10, and my watch is still an hour ahead. With that good news, I am going to bed.
*  This quilt impressed me.  I do not remember the name of the lady who made this today.   Jodi said there would be a quiz on names at the end of the day and that anyone who got them all right could take fabric home.  I would have failed the quiz, but still got the fabric.   *

No comments: