Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Found a recipe

Chris got up before 8 to 'attend' a work conference online via his laptop. I did not want to interrupt, so I stayed in bed. Ha, ha. After the conference, I got up to read e-mail, exercise to music, and juice veggies. Chris stripped the bed and put the sheets in the laundry. I googled how to collect rain water for drinking because it was raining. I looked through our cache of boxes for one that might have spare water filters in it. Then I separated the boxes for Freecycling. I gave up on sweet potato cake and found a nice, gluten-free carrot cake that uses honey instead of sugar.  I asked Chris if he would mind if I practiced making healthy carrot cakes. He said he wouldn't mind if he got to eat it. But what if he HAD to eat it? Chris went to the store for groceries. I finished an audio, and printed the recipe. He came home with groceries, enough for two cakes. He could not find coconut flour, but long ago I had made coconut milk from shredded coconut and saved the solids in the freezer.  They were essentially flour. I put the frozen solids on baking pans to dry in the oven. I put coconut milk solids from a can of coconut milk in the fridge to separate into cream and water. I washed carrots, and soaked dates in bourbon and water. I toasted two batches of pecans and processed one into almost butter. Along the way I took notes. I used the juicer to shred the carrots and put both the pulp and the juice in the bowl. To that were added eggs, vanilla, butter, honey. I should have mixed it by hand because the mixer kept gunning it's engine and sprayed in all directions. I mixed in the pecan butter by hand. I processed the dates and mixed them in by hand also. Also with the dry ingredients. Then I mixed it one last time with the mixer. I baked it in two cake pans. While it was baking, I made the frosting from coconut cream. I left the cakes on the stove to cool. I cleaned up, and there was a lot to clean. I put the mixing bowl out to catch snow. (The rain had turned to snow.)  The layers did not come out of the pans well, even though I had oiled and floured them. So I patched them and put them in the freezer. I had to lay down for awhile to rest.  I could not believe it had taken 5 hours to make a cake!  Then I put a bowl of bean soup (the last of it) and seaweed in the toaster oven for supper. I got the layers out and frosted them. For some inexplicable reason the layers were not the same diameter. We read e-mail. Later we shared some cake, and it was pretty good.  We talked about how it could be improved. We watched an episode of Inspector Lewis, then came up to put sheets on the bed. Even in the dark, the snow was bright, and every branch was frosted. I checked e-mail one last time and wrote to my blog.

No comments: