Sunday, February 2, 2014

New meeting place for Renegades

9am came and went, but I did not get up until 9:20 because it was warmer under the covers than above them. I boiled water for breakfast, then put hydrogen peroxide in my ears and swished. I prepared my breakfast and ate it in front of my laptop. After eating half, I realized I needed to leave the house in 5 minutes to get to the choir warm-up on time. I put on my go-to dress, and then pantyhose. There was a run in the front, but I figured no one will notice. I got to church in time to warm up. The choir was singing Merciful God, and he was, 'cause he got me there in time. I went out to get a bulletin and ran into Cecelia, who noticed Chris in church by himself last week. I was sitting in the pew when Chris arrived. Then the pastor made some announcements, one of which was that a movie clip would be shown during the sermon. Chris got up and left. I stayed. The movie clip was of Jesus being presented at the temple and meeting Simeon and Anna. I was struck by how intently the congregation watched. No sermon or choir anthem inspired such quiet attention. After the service, 4 teens were collecting donations for the hungry. Two can were decorated with football team images (Souper Bowl sunday), and two were more bland. I put a bill in the can of one of the general cans and the boy shouted to his friends “I got $10”. So much for giving anonymously. When I got home, Chris was at his laptop. We had a discussion, and then we went for groceries. I got lots of veggies to juice, but avoided all the cruciferous ones. At the checkout, the clerk remarked on the aloe branch. I explained how I eat it and use it. Then it occurred to me that every time I buy one, someone asks about it. When we got home, we put the groceries away. Chris carried my machine out to my car. I drove to the corner church where Mirna goes. I wasn't sure where the Renegade ladies were sewing, but I saw a light on and followed it. Keril set me up with a table near Rebecca. I turned in the teal and yellow top.  Keril asked me to make a backing for it. One lady gave me a long piece of teal fabric. I cut two long pieces off and sewed them together. Then I was at a loss for something to do. I went to the fabric table and sorted through it hoping for an idea. I came back to my seat with a pile of coordinated prints. It came to me to do partial piecing blocks. So I cut and sewed and cut some more. I finished 3 complete blocks before running out of one of the fabrics. I put together as many more blocks as I could with out the 5th fabric. Everyone was packing up, so I did too. I helped to put away tables and sweep. Isadly I dropped a table on my foot. t was still raining when I got home. Chris had a big pot of chicken curry on the stove. I ate a bowl (very good) followed by some kimchi. I listened to an interview about breast cancer and how diet makes all the difference, but the big cancer research promoters will not report that because all they are interested in is a drug cure. We watched The Virgin Queen, with Joan Collins and Bette Davis. Then, since it was still early, we saw an episode of Inspector Lewis. Chris looked up all of the familiar-looking actors and then we went to bed.
*  This is Keril's quilt.  She used a high-loft batting which really shows off the machine quilting.  She said it wasn't easy to use.  *

No comments: