Thursday, February 13, 2014

A gift from heaven

It was so quiet last night. Other than the transformer fireworks and the sound of limbs breaking off of trees, there was no sound, especially not traffic. I stayed up to tap, but my phone rang and it was the arsenal trying to tell Chris that they would be closed until 1. I looked outside and thought that was optimistic. I went back to tell him and then it was too easy to go to bed.
When I got up, the snow was still there. Every branch was frosted with snow and ice. The mixing bowl had 4 inches of snow in it.  It was like a gift from heaven.  I took a burger-turner outside to scoop up the top layer of snow. I filled three containers. Chris said only a tenth of the volume would be water. I took a shower while Chris 'attended' a conference, but somehow he never got in. I read e-mail, and then exercised, and juiced and made breakfast. The roads cleared up in the sunshine and the snow melted in the yard. My collection of snow melted slowly. Chris poured off the water into a coffee pot. He ran it through the coffee maker with a filter. I put in a tea ball of dandelion root.  So nice to have clean water.  Not knowing how safe the roads were, I asked Chris to take me to the fish market for wild salmon. The roads were so clear that I asked him if he were going to work, but he preferred to work from home. He reminded me that Monday was a federal holiday and he would be home to bother me then, too. I went downstairs to trim the batik quilt. The original plan was to fold the backing to the front and stitch it down, but when I auditioned it, it did not look right. I tried a few other fabrics as bindings and liked none of them. So, since there was both extra batting and backing all around, I auditioned another border with piping. It seemed to frame the quilt nicely and would give me room to trim it up. I worked on that until Chris announced that the beef roast was ready. I came up for supper. My piece was dripping with blood, just the way I like it. I went back down to finish an audio and the border. I checked e-mail, and took out the recyclables. Then we went down to watch the last episode of Inspector Lewis. Chris will return it to the post library tomorrow – God willing and it doesn't snow again.

No comments: