Friday, October 17, 2014

Catching up

Chris turned his alarm off when it rang so I never heard it. I got up to go to the bathroom and he told me about the alarm. He got up to take a shower and go to the eye doctor. I swished, exercised and checked e-mail. I was doing my Wednesday detox when Chris came back. I got dressed and we went to the mechanic to pick up my car. He told us my transmission could not be fixed and he could not recommend a used transmission. He brought the car around front for us to take home. I asked what kind of car he would get. He said used, and probably a Toyota or Kia. For $45 they would check out any used car that I might want to buy. I drove home and Chris followed me as far as the optometrist. I finished my detox and he picked up his new glasses and went to post to chat with people he used to work with. I juiced carrots and thawed some cucumber popsicles. Then I made breakfast and ate it. I laid out in the sun. I heard the mailman, so when I was finished sunning, I checked the front door and the mailbox. I found two boxes; one of supplements and one of small toys to hand out for Halloween. I cleared more e-mail and listened to an audio on exercise. When Chris got home, we looked at airfare to Richmond and to Belize, both in dollars and in air miles. When to travel depended partly on when someone would be available to pick me up at the airport. He called his parents, and I talked to Faye and Kurt. Only Faye had any idea what her holiday schedule might be. Chris was worried about my dad driving to the airport. I called Allison to find out when I could come by for soap, honey and eggs. She did not have any soap left, so it will be next week or later until she could get more made. I went outside to rake leaves and pick up sticks. I rolled up one hose and hung it in the shed. I turned off the water timer and disconnected it. I set the mower to short and gave the lawn inside the fence its last mowing of the year. I started mowing outside the fence too, but it got dark. I raked up the magnolia cones from the driveway and called it quits. I came in for supper, which consisted of chicken and fermented cabbage. I wrote e-mails to Parker and Ralph about the rental house. Chris took the communion bread from the freezer and we got in his car. I drove us to the church where we dropped off the bread. Then I drove us almost home and then to the church where I quilt on Mondays, and back home. Chris thought it went well, but that hill was a challenge. He cut up a cabbage for me while I made up ten doses of supplements, setting aside those that needed reordering. Then I cut up an onion and salted the cabbage-onion mixture to draw out the cabbage juice. My eyes stung badly from the cut onion. I crushed up some herbs to add to the mixture. Then I ran some purified water through the coffee maker to heat up. I mixed it with unheated water to make lukewarm. Then I dissolved a packet of fermentation starter and some sugar. I pressed the cabbage mixture tightly into three jars. I poured some starter liquid on all three and put on the lids. When Chris was ready, we went down to watch 2 episodes of Castle before going to bed. 
*  this is a pic of the basement of the house in Pinehurst

No comments: