Sunday, October 26, 2014

Parade of characters

I fell asleep in the tent, listening to the critter who managed to find its way underneath. It was around 7am so I went in and laid in bed. I heard the alarm go off, but did not get right away because of the time change. When I did get up, I went downstairs to sew the last seam. Then I discovered that two of the other seams were wrong. I had sewed them 3-2-1 instead of 1-2-3. So I took them apart and sewed them back together. I checked my laptop and phone to make sure the time had changed, but they were not changing. I called Chris' phone just to make my cell phone to speak to the tower and still the time did not change. I took a shower and went online. The time changes this weekend... in Europe! I checked my calendar. The note “Summer Time Ends” was followed by “(EU)”. So no, the time hadn't changed, not here in Alabama. I grabbed my choir folder and stuff and headed to church. I walked in during the first hymn. My regular seat was full so I had to sit one row behind. There was a puppet stage sitting off to the side, blocking my view of the altar area. It was hard to squeeze around for the choir anthem and then communion. After the service, I gave the pastor's wife the pants I had hemmed for her and the banner in progress. She said she would leave the banner for Jeanne to pick up. Jennifer left some licorice root in her office for me so I picked that up before I left to go to the grocery store, trying to remember what three things were on the list and I finally did. I bought what I needed and went home. I changed clothes and put the groceries away. I made breakfast. I put the rice out to charge in the sunlight. I got out the garb and selected one for a fortune tellers costume. I had to take everything else off because it was so hot. I went through my old jewelry to find something appropriate. I opened my hatchback to put in the big black pot and toys. If the neighbors saw me in my costume with the black pot, they were poking each other saying “I told you there was something not right about her. “ I read my owner's manual, but there was nothing to tell me how to turn off the interior hatch light. I looked it up online, but nothing there either. Then I called my father-in-law, but he was out running. I finished putting the stuff in the car, hoping I'd thought of everything. On the way to church, Al called. He said that one light on shouldn't hurt the battery, but to run the car for a few minutes every hour to be sure. I parked in my assigned spot, and set up shelf as a table, covering it with fabric. I pinned pumpkin fabric to inside of car with the hatch up. I put toys in the pot and covered them with rice, but the rice ran between the toys and they were obvious. I pulled some out, but still the rice did not cover. The couple next to me were dressed like minions. They had a toss game for kids to play before they got candy. The balls would roll away and one rolled under my car. So I pulled out an old broom to sweep it out. She asked if I always had one in my car and I replied that my fortune-telling skills told me I would need it...and if my car broke down, I would have a ride home. Ha, ha. At 4:30 the kids made their rounds. I knew many of them, but the event was open to the community. Of course, several large churches were doing the same thing on a larger scale, so we did not get many extra. When the initial set of kids had collected their goodies, there were games and food. The kids won...more candy! Someone was giving hay rides in the back lot. I did not ride so am not sure of the route (if they went through the lawn or down to the greenway). A few more kids came. Some adults asked me to tell their fortune. I told Patrick that there was a lot of candy in his future (his son was dressed like the Tardis and collecting candy). A girl was dressed like Dr. Who and had a sonic screwdriver. As it got dark, I handed out glow-in-the-dark rice to those who wanted some.  They asked me how I made it, but did not believe my story about tweezers and a tiny paintbrush.  Shannon was dressed like a witch and had a cauldron of dry ice. But no broom. I tried to give her my broom, but she did not want it. Kelly was dressed like a devil, all in red. She stood out by the street to draw in people for our church truck-or-treat. It was ironic. After the first hour, I ran my car for a few minutes to make sure the battery was still charged. But when it was time to go home, I had no trouble starting the car. I came home and parked nose first in the carport. I opened the hatch and set everything outside, and closed it. Then it took me several trips to bring it all in. I ate some fish soup for supper. I sent a skype text to Chris. I finished an audio from this morning, and cleared new e-mails. I did not want to take off my costume because it felt so right to wear it. I watched an episode of X-Files, and was watching a second one when Chris called me on Skype. After we talked, I finished that episode and decided to save the last one for tomorrow night. I downloaded all the pics I took today and cropped a few.  I wrote my blog post, and thought about where to sleep tonight.

No comments: