Sunday, October 12, 2014

Whale Milk

I woke up early, discovering that menopause had not arrived after all. I cleaned up and took a shower. Cecily had some emergency supplies. I read e-mail, and made breakfast. Chris packed the car, and then we left for church. On the way we stopped at Walgreens. We arrived at church a little early and greeted a few people (including Faye and Dad) before we sat down in a pew. Faye was the worship leader this morning. She had a cold but spoke well in spite of that. Her voice gave away her feeling about the Samson story this morning. After the service, I had to run to the bathroom and then Chris and I went into the fellowship hall. The congregation sat for a few extra minutes to elect new officers (or something like that). Then they too came in. Many of them came by to say hello to us. I caught up on the lives of a few. When everyone had left, we went in Chris' car to Subway for lunch. Then we came back to their cars, and we all drove to Dad's house. Faye cleaned the heat registers at Dad's request. We cleared a shelf of quilt books. Faye gave them to me to keep or donate as I chose. William came over to get a lawn mower battery off of the washing machine so I could use it. Then Faye and I went through some of Mom's clothes, packing some for donation and putting a few aside for me to wear when I visit. I also chose some to take home. Parker called to say that the tenants had even more stuff out on the lawn, but they had texted to say they would be moved out and cleaning by Tuesday. Dad told Chris what to heat for supper. William ate with us, but Faye had to go home. I went through the rest of the clothing, packing another bag for donation and putting aside some nightgowns that I could wear. I sat down at my laptop to look up whale milk. I saw a video of someone milking a killer whale. I read that whale milk ice cream has 900 calories per half cup. Then I looked up explanations of the Samson story: apparently chapter 14 explains why the f-i-l thought Samson hated his wife. She agreed to be married to another man because the Phillistines threatened her and her father. But in the end they killed her anyway. By then it was after 11pm and time to go to bed. Even Dad had gone to bed by then.

No comments: