Saturday, October 4, 2014

Like a kick in the head

I got up at 8, hearing the alarm because my bedroom door was open. Otherwise the sound of the open window would drown it out. I turned on the router, and saw several long skype messages from Chris about how he loves and misses me. I listened to an audio on electrical sensitivity, exercised, swished, and put a check in the mail. I added moringa oleifera to my Swanson list because of the audio. I rewrote the communion bread recipe to make it work in a bread machine. Yesterday morning when the thermostat hit 80 I was tempted to turn on the AC. But today it was 69 and I wanted to turn on the heat. And its sunnier today, so what's up with that? I emptied the dishwasher, juiced, and made breakfast, I mowed part of the front yard. I started a batch of communion bread in the bread machine. The butter was hard, so to measure it, I weighed it. But the scale kept decreasing the weight display with each second. I put in a dark load of laundry. While it was washing, I sewed two sheets together that had been pinned. When they were sewn, I added them to the light load and washed it. I took a pillow outside to sew shut. When I was finished, I came in and emptied the dryer. I ironed the fabric pieces from that load, then moved the light load to dryer. More ironing. I brought all the laundry up, but left it in the basket. I finally remembered the communion bread dough. I patted it into a rectangle to divide into 4ths. I intended to make round loaves, but then it occurred to me that rectangles would be easier to cut up into equal pieces. Maybe it's time to think 'inside' the box. Nothing I saw online said they had to be round, so I placed the rectangles on the cookie sheet and baked them at 400 for 15 minutes. It seemed to be plenty of time. I flipped them over and scored them on the back as requested. I was tempted to try one – just to see how they were on the inside. It had nothing to do with how good they smelled. While they were baking, I made egg salad out of a boiled egg and some hummus. Then I picked some tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes haven't been very productive since the weather got cooler, but the heirloom orange ones (that are blighted) have been doing better. While I was out there, I noticed that the tarp had been blown off of the tent. I looked up the weather report and saw only a 2% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow night. I pulled the dry bedding out of the garage and assembled it in the tent. The tarp would not be needed for rain, and it makes noise, so I left it off. I covered the side of the tent with a blanket to keep out the neighbor's porch light. Daylight was waning, but I got in 15 minutes of mowing in the front and side yards. As I put the mower away, I could hear Craig in his back yard. I walked over there to see if he wanted to go for a drive. He was putting up a target for an air rifle. He offered me a shot. So I went up on the deck. He took two shots and then had me hold the rifle and aim. I had my brow against the sight to see the target. When I squeezed the trigger, the recoil broke the skin of my eyebrow. I just thought it was a bump, but Dillon saw blood. We went in the house and he gave me a wet papertowel to dab it. He also got out a gecko/lizard which was pink spotted with black and offered it to me to hold. So I did and it was calm, so I was too. Then I went home to put some h2o2 on my wound and get shoes. I sat in Chris' car and started it. They walked around the corner into the driveway. I did not know how to open the doors so I stopped the car and pulled out the key. Magically the doors opened and Craig and Dillon got in. Following Craig's instructions, I drove up to Mayfair and through the Jones Valley parking lot, practicing on their hill. Then we went through our neighborhood, trying out the really steep hill. Not so good. Then we went to Bailey Cove. I drove past our church and back. The car told me when to shift, but Craig said it meant 'shift already!' and so not to wait for that light. Then I drove into his driveway to let them off, and then into mine to park and call it a night. He said I did ok and just needed practice. I smelled the bread when I came inside. I packed them in a zip-lock bag and put them in the freezer. I wasn't sure if they were too hard for communion. I could put them in the freezer at church without my name and if they don't like 'em, they don't have to use 'em. I went down to iron the last of the fabrics that just got washed. When I came up, Chris was online. We skyped for awhile and I could not stop yawning. He signed off and I put on an episode of X-Files while I worked on the binding of the quilt. I thought I would be able to finish, but I needed at least another episode. It will have to be tomorrow. I posted to my blog and went to bed.
*  another pic from the Chattanooga show. I wished I had one of Craig and his air rifle.  *

No comments: