Friday, April 22, 2016

Anyone need a spool of thread?


Chris got up early and went to work. I waited until my alarm went off. Once up, I drank two bottles of water and read e-mail. One article advocated growing mushrooms on old coffee grounds, but did not explain how. I did my exercises. I stirred coconut milk into my powdered breakfast and ate it. I took a shower and got dressed. I just had time to gather my backpack and coat and head for the front of the building. In three minutes the Shilla bus for Dongdaemun arrived. Fifteen minutes later it let me out at Doota. The first order of business was to buy socks. The two pairs I brought had holes in them. But the lady only sold them in packs of 10. They seemed right, so I bought the pack, and put on a pair. They were comfortable, but just a little heavier than I wanted. Second order of business was to return the bathing suit. The clerk there spoke English. He took the suit back and let me exchange it for another larger size – 3xx. Really. He didn't think I needed a larger size, but I knew better. Then I headed across the river to the fabric buildings. I searched the first floor of B and did not find ironing board fabric. One man suggested the second floor. So I looked up there, too. My idea was to go up and down every aisle until I either found it, or could be certain it was not there. But I had forgotten that Dongdaemun doesn't work that way. There are impediments to doing that and soon I was lost, wandering from one building to another seamlessly on each floor (because the buildings are connected). I saw thousands of fabrics, but not the one I wanted. When I got to the fifth floor, I stopped to buy several strings of stones; jade, tiger eye and hematite. Then I visited the Happy Quilt booth again. I bought some gray for Myra, and some blue for the back of the fish quilt. I called Jane to explain to the lady about the ironing board fabric. But the lady said they do not use it in Korea. Onward and downward, I bought a black separating zipper, and several rolls of ribbon, which was surprisingly cheap. I went to the basement to get some yarn for Nela. The skeins were cheaper, but so small. I found one huge one for 10,000 so I got that. A little more wandering from floor to floor and I decided to find a place to sit. I sat for almost half an hour, then decided I was done shopping. I could not think of anything else I needed and I was almost out of money. I walked to the Doota building and waited for the bus. As I waited, I chanted “Shilla bus, shilla bus”. It sounded like what you get on the first day of class. I rode the bus back to the hotel by 3. I went up to the room and laid down on the bed and took a nap. Chris called to check on his razor. It had not charged or at least, would not start. So he planned to buy another before he came home from work. I tried on the bathing suit and it fit. Then the door rang. A lady announced Turn Down service. But our room had already been straightened so I shook my head. I read e-mail and looked up ironing board fabric online. It was very hard to find. And for whatever reason, JoAnns will only sell one yard per order. Chris came back from the base. I got dressed and we went to the executive lounge for supper. After eating, we sat together and enjoyed the view while Chris sipped his wine. Then we went back to our room. From there we could see colored lights down by the pool and we heard a band. So I put on a jacket and we went to the third floor. We were given arm bands to wear to go out there and door prize tickets. It was cold out, but the pool water was heated. People were wearing white bathrobes and lounging all around. The cabanas looked nice, but they were all taken. We sat in some empty chairs that were behind a hedge. We could not see the show, but we listened to the music. Then we walked around by the outdoor hot tubs. I wanted to try one, but my stomach was just not in the mood. The band finished and a lady picked up the mic. We did not understand what she was saying, but people laughed, shouted, danced, etc as she talked it up. A man came by to ask if we knew the numbers of our tickets in Korean. We did not, so he stood with us until the numbers were called. We did not win anything, but he took us to another higher seating area where we could see well. We spoke to him for some time. Then one of the seating areas opened up. There was a gas fire in the middle which was really nice. We sat together for awhile, staring at the building and warming my feet. The man came back and suggested we ask if we could exchange breakfast at the executive lounge for the first floor buffet. So when we went in, we did ask, but the answer was no. We went back to our room and got on our computers. I checked the latest e-mail. I tried to add streaming to our Netflix plan, but could not get it to work, even by signing out and back in. We get their DVD's in a week, but somehow when we mail them back, the DVD don't arrive. I gave up and posted to my blog. Then it was time for bed.

No comments: