Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Fabric and the fish market

I heard my alarm go off and was up before 8. I threw the food scraps in the waste container, put on shoes and a coat and put the container at the curb. I read e-mail and drank water with fresh lime juice in it. I wanted to play an audio while exercising but did not want to wake Steve. Finally I got the idea to play it in my bedroom with the door shut. But as I was getting my laptop ready, Steve came out of his room and went in the bathroom. I took my laptop to the bedroom but had trouble finding something to play. When I did, I started exercising and heard Steve leave the house. When I came out, his shoes were gone from the foyer, but his toiletries were still in the bathroom. I got dressed and ate some seed crackers with the mayo I made yesterday. It was ok, but the taste of olive oil was too strong. Then I made breakfast. Just before I finished, Nela called to say Myra was done with her meeting and waiting for us. I had a few bites of breakfast and threw the rest in the fridge. I put on my coat and earmuffs and backpack. I walked down the hill. Kelly waved to me and said she just got final permission to run a hair styling business out of her house (which is part of our duplex). So when I saw Myra and Nela, I told them and Nela asked how much, but I did not know. We walked into town to a bus station, missing the bus by seconds. We waited almost half an hour for the next one. We rode bus 163 into Masan to the fish market. It was bait and switch. They had said they wanted to buy fabric and yarn. But we spent hours looking at clothing and scarves. We found a used clothing market underground. I went through pretty quickly, but they scoured every piece. I bought one top. Then we looked for the fabric. I bought two that I had bought a yard of before, but the prices had gone up and I wasn't expecting that. Myra got some fabric, too. Then we went across the street and I got some dark gray to make pants. I saw some green that caught my eye and he made me a deal I couldn't refuse which cost me $20 more. We walked around, and then went in search of a bathroom. Last time it was located in the basement full of construction dust. But today that basement had food booths and a K-Pop band playing VERY loudly. I was glad to have earmuffs. We looked at the foods but decided to eat on the street. We sat at a booth and I ordered kimbap, and Nela got fish noodles. Myra brought cookies. After we ate, we paid and went wandering through the market, heading for the bus stop. We strolled through the fish part, too. The visual was interesting as was the smell. One booth was selling aloe branches so I bought one. When we got to the bus stop, Nela took a pic of the sign showing which buses stopped there. She wanted to compare it with the bus stop signs in Chinhae. When we got on the bus, I found myself sitting beside a very nice young Korean man who offered to give up his seat to Myra. It turned out that he used to work on the Navy base and would again if given the chance. Myra promised to put in a good word for him. He got off at the same stop we did. We walked back to the base. Nela called her son to meet her so they could go out to eat. Myra and I stopped by the ATM to recharge our wallets. Then we walked home. I was alone when I got there. I checked e-mail and finished breakfast. Chris came home and I showed him the letter I got from the post office denying my claim for damages to my sewing machine because I did not have a receipt for it's purchase 8 years ago. Chris told me to contact the Inspector General to complain that they did not inform us that the insurance is no good with out proof of purchase (but if we shipped an item that wasn't purchased, what then?), but then he read the letter and saw that we could make one more appeal: to the vice president and consumer advocate. So I composed a letter to the address listed. I read it to Chris and tweaked it. Steve came home and engaged us in conversation. He asked what I was doing and when I explained, said I should write to the company I bought it from to see if they had the purchase information. Nela called to talk about buying yarn on sale at Jo-Anns. Steve went to his room. When Nela hung up, I read through the postal regulations to find loop-holes and make my statements more specific. But when Chris was ready to watch CSI (at 9:30), I stopped to sit with him and watch. After two episodes, he went to bed and I stayed up to review my day and post to my blog.

No comments: