Friday, April 8, 2016

Band and air show

After I posted to my blog, I got dressed for bed so I wouldn't have to wake up Chris later. Then I heard fireworks, so I slipped on some shoes and rushed outside. I had to go up the hill a little to get a vantage point between the trees. It was a little chilly to be standing outside in a nightgown, but I did not care. I came back in and checked e-mail, hoping to find a meditation. But Steve came out of his room and started talking to me. It was 11:15 when I gave up on ever meditating, and insisted I was going to bed.

I stayed in bed in the morning, until I heard Steve leave. It was after 8:30 when I got up. I checked e-mail and drank water. I did my exercises. Nela called to say they were at Duffy's, ready to hit the festival. I said I'd call when I was ready to meet them in town. I swept up the dirt in the foyer, which has increased with the fall of the cherry petals. I made up a week's worth of supplements. I placed an order for the ones that were low. The order was 11 cents short of free shipping so I had to look for something else to order. Then I stacked the dishwasher. I packed some seed crackers in my fanny pack. I called Nela to see how warm it was in town. Then I got dressed, changing a few times until I felt I was appropriately dressed. Then I put on my backpack and walked down the hill. I passed the CO and CPO dressed in whites in the antenna circle. I wondered if there was something else I was supposed to attend. I walked out into town and headed to the rotary. I called Nela and she said they would wait by the jumpy thing. I met up with them and we walked up and down streets of vendors. We happened to catch a marching band with three parts. One was a Korean sailor marching band, then what looked like marines, and then a small contingent from the 8th army band from Seoul. It was a nice surprise. We stopped at a line of Indian vendors and I bought a dyed dress. We looked at a lot of jewelry. I ate some seed crackers. Then we went to a restaurant that was recommended to Nela. We ordered pork. The lady brought us side dishes first. Then she brought pot of coals which went in the center of the table. Then she put a grill over that. She laid strips of meat from a plate with meat and onions and mushrooms to be grilled. She cooked three strips at a time. Then cut them up, moved them to the side and put three more in. It was very good. It was a lot of meat. But we did our best to eat it all. Then, when we went to pay, she charged us for a dinner for 5.
We tried to argue that we only ordered for three and the menu said 8,ooo won per person. But she charged us 44,000. The math did not add up, but the other ladies said we should just pay it and leave. I wished I had called Jane to iron out what happened. But we got out in time to see the air show. Large planes were flying overhead, swooping and rolling, and barely missing each other. They used colored exhaust to make designs in the sky. It was amazing. Then we walked to the main street and waited for a bus. When we got on, So Young was on it. That was a good thing because she was able to tell us where to get off to see the train station by the 5 day market. The train station was full of people with selfie-sticks. There was one train on the tracks, but it was parked. The ground was covered in petals. We took pictures. Eventually we made our way back to a bus stop. We waited a long time, skipping several crowded buses. Then we took one we had never ridden before. It took us pretty close to the base! We got off and entered the store where we added money to our bus cards. Then we walked to the base. I stopped at the ATM for more money. Then we went home. I came in my house and could see Steve's shoes in the foyer. I quietly sat down at my computer to check e-mail and drink water. I listened to an audio. I wrote up my blog for the day so far. I got up for a snack and ate it at my laptop, reading an article. Steve came out of his room and sat next to me. He asked what I was reading and proceeded from there. Finally Chris came home. But nothing really changed. The conversation went on. Chris made himself supper, and I ate a bowl of curry. At 9, Chris made a phone call to the states about the corrected W-2 that he never got. It was not handled to his satisfaction. Then we watched two episodes of CSI. Chris went to bed and I stayed up to choose a photo to go with my blog post.

No comments: