Monday, April 25, 2016

Taking the wrong bus

Chris got up and went to PT at the gym. I stayed in bed until he got back. I got up while he showered. I drank a quart of water and checked e-mail. Nela called and then Myra. We agreed to meet at 10:15 to go to Changwan for hat supplies for Nela. I made up a week's worth of supplements. It was after 10 so I got dressed, but then Nela called to say they were going to be late. I had just enough time to do my exercises and choose an item to mend. It was a pair of Chris' suit pants. I got some smokey monofilament thread to repair the hem. Then Nela called to say they were ready. So I put on shoes and grabbed my bag and fanny pack and stuff I had bought for them. I walked down to the quad. I gave them each their bag. Then we went to the ATM, but Myra needed to go to the other one. So they went there and I went to the bathroom downstairs. When I came up, they were gone. I got some won and then saw Nela across the street. I met up with her and we found Myra somewhere. She got dollars out by mistake. Then we walked to the main street to the stop where 751 comes. We had just missed it so I called Jane to see if any other buses went to Changwon. She said 150, but the next 751 came first. So we rode to the bookshop stop in Changwon. I ate some seed crackers on the bus. Nela led us through the streets to an old market. We looked around then stopped for lunch. Myra and I had kimbap and it went perfectly with the kimchi provided by Nela's seller. But Nela's meal was served cold and she did not like it. Then we walked all around the perimeter of the market, then down the street to the Alpha store. Nela looked at paper, ribbon, feathers, flowers, felt – anything orange or pink to decorate a hat. She even found a hat to decorate. I wandered around, looking at what was for sale, but I did not buy anything. Finally she paid and we left. She led us down another street to show me an owl backpack that she had seen months ago. But it was not there anymore. As we sat on a bench, a lady came over and gave each of us a sample of soap. She was selling that and a whole line of body products and makeup. We did not buy. Then we walked toward the bus stop, which was blocks away. When we passed Lotte Mart, we went inside to use the restroom. Myra and Nela got soft-serve ice cream cones. Then we finished our walk to the bus stop. When 757 came, Myra said she had seen it in Jinhae, so we got on. But, though we did pass through a small part of Jinhae, it's destination was much further away. We were lost. Eventually, we got off the bus and crossed the street to catch 305, which we knew went to the stop near the base. Half way back, a whole bunch of teenagers got on. When the bus pulled away from the curb, a horrible grinding noise could be heard. At the next stop, we sat for about 10 minutes. Then we proceeded slowly. A few stops later, the grinding noise stopped. The rest of the ride was uneventful. Nela got off early to check something in the traditional market. But Myra and I were done. As we walked in the gate, the firechief was driving onto post and offered us a ride. I was so grateful not to have to climb the hill. He took us both home. Chris was not home yet, even though it was after 5. I drank some water and sat down to mend. I fixed the pants and the jacket. I fixed a second pair of pants that needed patching. I picked up the third one, and saw that it had been patched twice before. Chris came home and I told him he should get a new suit. He said he needed that one to last until he could find a local tailor. So I gave it a shot, thinking that I am not a miracle worker. I can make his money disappear, but not the holes in his pants. I ate some supper and read some e-mail. I made breakfast while Chris cued up the next CSI episode. I ate while we watched. After three episodes, he was done. He made the bed with clean sheets while I folded laundry from yesterday. We fell into bed. Later I got up to clear some e-mail and post to my blog before retiring for the night.
* We walked by these flowers in Changwon. The scent was incredible. *

No comments: