Monday, September 19, 2016

A centipede AND an earthquake

I got up late after being up so late last night. I heard Chris come back from PT, shower and leave for work. I checked e-mail and exercised. I listened to audios. I boiled water for coffee. I cleaned the stove. Chris came home for lunch. He ate the last of his bread so I put ingredients in the bread machine to make more. After he left, I got dressed and walked out in town to a bank. I did not have to wait long. But when I handed over the American money to exchange for Korean money, she asked for my passport. I did not have it and she would not accept my ID. So I thanked her and went to the bank I had used before. Last time there was a long wait, but today it was short. This clerk also asked for a passport. I told her I did not need it last time. She said there was a limit to how much cash I could exchange without a passport. So I used the word for ‘half’, indicating that she should exchange half of it and give me the other half back. But she cut the transaction in half and did it in parts. Then she told me that I would have gotten a better exchange rate if I had my passport. I thanked her profusely and made a mental note to bring it next time. I called Chris to tell him because it would help me remember. When I got back to base, I headed home, passing Housing. I called Myra to see if she had already spoken to them and when she hadn’t, I stopped in to ask about using their meeting room Wednesday morning for QOV. I thought it was already reserved for Wednesday night, but the man said the form never came from MWR. So I filled out a private request for the room for both QOV and sewing class. I also got light bulbs for the bedrooms. Then I called Myra to ask about the forms. She promised to e-mail Paul (head of MWR). I went home to have a bite to eat but there wasn’t much time. I then headed for the chapel for the FRG meeting. I met Myra on the way. So we were both a little late. But the only people there were the board and one new member. The president went through her agenda. It all seemed reasonable. She and the vice-president are leaving, at separate times for different reasons. And since the secretary already resigned, the only position not open was treasurer. If no one steps forward, the FRG will be disbanded. After the meeting, Myra and I went to MWR to see Paul. He said Anthony had the form and promised to get it to Housing before next Wednesday. He also invited us to send him a list of things we needed for sewing class so he could allocate some money before the end of the fiscal year. Then Myra came to my house to look at the four dresses I made. She said the version 4 dress hung strangely because of the fabric and not anything I had done incorrectly. She recommended hemming it and wearing it as is. After she left, I wrote a quilt label for the fish quilt. I embroidered it on a piece of the blue backing fabric. Then I found and tested pens for ladies to sign it with. As I was headed into the laundry room, I thought I stepped on a rubber band because something about the size and length of my finger popped up and fell again. I searched and searched for this mysterious rubber band. And then I screamed, because it was a large centipede. I hit it with the nearest object, which was a USB cable. It was ineffective. I grabbed a flyswatter and chased it under the desk. It went under the leg and disappeared. Unless the leg was hollow, it must have vanished into thin air. I did not turn over the desk to look. At that moment Chris showed up. He did not see the centipede and went in the back to change clothes. I put on slippers in case I found it the hard way. I wondered how it was that I did not get bitten. I was hungry so I made and ate breakfast. I watched Youtube videos of things to make with plastic bottles and plastic bottle caps. I thought my sister would enjoy them. Then we felt the tremors of another earthquake. But not so bad that I discontinued reading e-mail. Then we watched 2 episodes of House. Chris went to bed and I blogged and hoped for a quiet, centipede-free night.
* This pic is from the chicken restaurant. *

No comments: