Sunday, September 18, 2016

Another goodbye party - or two

We got up a little after 8. I took a shower and put on my green dress. Chris showered and went to church. I skyped with my tapping buddy until 10:20. Chris was back by then. I put on my shoes and earrings. We got in the car and Chris dropped me off at the chapel. The unusually small congregation was at prayer so I waited a minute and then came in for the singing. Jane came in soon after I did. After the service, which was unusually short, we waited for Chris. I did not have my ID so we went back to our quarters to get it. Then Chris drove us to the Korean church for lunch. I always like the vegetables, even though they are not something I recognize. I saw bowls of rice and kimchi on the tables. In the food line was soup. But it turned out to be ramen. So lunch was ramen soup and rice. I was not amused. I consumed the broth and slipped my noodles to Chris. I ate kimchi, too. Jane must have thought Chris was wasting away in short order because even after he declined several offers of more soup, she hopped up and got another bowl for him. She also came back with another kind of kimchi so I ate some of that. Chris was really full then. Jane walked to the bus stop and we went back to base to the commissary for groceries. We ran into a new couple. She told me about how the earthquake affected her cats and how scary it was on the 40th floor of their building. Yikes! On the way out, we spoke at length to Kim. She invited us to meet them at 5 to take Nela out to eat. We took our groceries home and put them away. I was going to make seed crackers but got hooked on Pinterest. At one point, I went to the bathroom and asked Chris to shut down the Pinterest window on my browser. Then I went to change clothes. Chris came back and… Nela called but I did not answer. I checked my phone later and she had left a message about meeting at the commissary at 5 to go to the chicken place. It was almost 5, so I put on my shoes and Chris took an umbrella. We walked to the commissary. He went inside while I went to the ATM for Korean cash. Then we all (11) walked off base to the chicken place nearby. We were seated in a corner. As a group we ordered plates of chicken pieces and some salads. We shared the food when it came. Scott got a chicken pizza, which he shared. I tried a small piece and did not care for it. Not worth the calories. Since Nela is leaving, the remaining 10 of us split the bill. We sat and talked for what seemed like a long time. Chris regaled the group with stories I have heard many times before. Then again, I prompted him several times. Mari and her son went to the bakery and the rest of us walked back to base. There was a random bag check so security looked through my fanny pack. Then we walked on through. Nela peeled off to go to her place. We stopped at Myra’s place to say ‘see you later’ to her (because Kathy’s party started in an hour). Chris and I came home to read e-mail. I placed a Swanson’s order. Nela called to see when we were going to the party. I cleared a few more e-mail, then put my shoes on and called Myra. I met her at her parking lot and we walked to Nela’s house. She was waiting for us in the street. We walked across the street to Kathy’s house. Kathy was still putting her kids to bed. But soon she came out. A little while later, Bernie came over. No one else came, and we just sat around sharing birthing stories because a couple on base just had a baby and Bernie has one on the way. The party broke up about 11:30. Myra and I walked back to her parking lot. We stood there for about an hour talking about all the things wrong with politics, here and back home. Finally, we parted and went home. I posted to my blog and went to bed.
* My camera is taking very dark pics. Even with photo software, I cannot get the shadows out. *

No comments: