Sunday, October 16, 2016

Computer troubles and a reception

What a day it has been, what a bad mood I'm in, why its almost like being in ... a foreign country.
Chris got up to get ready for church. I slept in until almost 9. He was leaving as I came out to fire up my laptop and drink a quart of water. I had a hard time reading my e-mail because some script kept hijacking the process. This had happened several times recently and I was tired of it. I figured by rebooting the problem would go away. But, the laptop would not reboot, at least not normally. It came up in dos but would not accept keystrokes. I took my shower and got dressed. I tried my new laptop but it would not delete e-mail, so I turned to my trusty desktop. It was slow but reliable. When Chris got back from church, he took a look at my old laptop and said he thought it was a hardware failure of some kind. I put on a coat and got in the car. He dropped me off at the chapel. I sat with Jane for the service. The sermon came from Nehemiah, the first chapter: tips on how to pray. Kathy was there and I gave her the unused nail stickers. After the service, Chris showed up. We stood around talking until the commissary opened at noon. Then we shopped for groceries. We took them home. I changed my dress for pants and a nice top. I made and ate breakfast. I read e-mail and listened to an audio on my new laptop. Chris had installed Waterfall as an option to Firefox. It seemed to be working. The audio wasn't very loud and was tinny so I played it on the desktop so I could hear it all over the house. I ate something that made my nose run. I set out my supplement bottles to make up dosages for the week. I swept the floors with a dust mop, waiting for my nose to stop running. Then I started filling the bottles. At 3:30 Chris wanted to drive me to Duffy's parking lot to meet the bus to Busan. But I told him that Scott was going to take Myra and I to meet the bus. Myra called just a few minutes later to say they were on their way. I visited the bathroom and put on socks and shoes. I hunted down an umbrella. I met them at the street. Scott drove us around the base and to the transportation parking lot. The bus was there. We got on with a few other people. The bus left right at 3:45 and went off base without going to Duffy's. We wondered if anyone got left behind because they went to Duffy's. It was a 2 1/2 hour trip to the pier in Busan. A carrier named USS Ronald Reagan was there. We all trouped up the metal steps to the lower flight deck. It was full of people. We checked our umbrellas at the hat check table. We wandered around the room, looking to see what food was available. We got in line for a fresh fruit tray, fresh veggie tray, then some sort of roll-up sandwiches. At the end of the line was a huge piece of beef. We got some cuttings from it. At another table was a pineapple tree. Into the pineapples were stuck skewers of fruit chunks, and near by was a big bowl of shrimp with an ice sculpture in it. As we passed the table with what looked like a roasted pig with an apple in its mouth, I stopped to take a picture. When I looked away, Myra was gone. I roamed the room but could not find her. I did see the ambassador, but did not want to approach him with a plate full of food. I ran into Suzanne and Kathy. We spoke for awhile. Then someone called for attention and there were speeches. Our ambassador did a great job. Then I spotted Myra with Anna. She wanted to leave early so we said we would go with her. But with one thing and another, leaving early did not happen. Myra and I found someone to lead us to a restroom. It was through a port door and down very steep metal steps, around corners and through more doors. I hoped our guide would not leave because I could not have found my way back. When we got back, Anna wanted to go. Then on the way out, we stopped to take pictures of statues and busts of Ronald Reagan. By the time we got out to the pier, the bus was ready to leave. So Terry went with Anna, and Myra and I rode the bus back. It only took an hour and a half. Scott picked us up at the bus stop and took me home. I checked the latest e-mail. I installed f.lux. I was cuing up House when Chris called from Seoul. He had loaded some software on my new laptop before he left, but Skype was not part of it. The my phone made sounds like someone was calling. After I hung up with Chris, I discovered that Anna had sent me pictures from the event. I sat down and watched House. It was an interesting episode and I would have watched another but it was after 11. I then realized that posting to my blog was going to be more difficult because I always do it on my old laptop. My new laptop knew nothing about it, and I did not know what word processing software was loaded. I tried and tried on my desktop, but the help pages were all in Korean - no help at all. Somehow I figured out that I needed to sign in with my Yahoo account rather than my Google account. I was able to get to my blog, and I wrote up the events of the day. But it got very late and I did not want to tackle the downloading of pics onto the desktop before going to bed.
* This is Michele, giving a toast at Ashley's wedding, which took place in the U.S. this weekend. *

No comments: