Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Absent-mindedness

I did not hear the alarm go off. Chris got up and dressed and went to breakfast. Then I got up and sat on the floor checking e-mail. Chris came back from breakfast with 6 pieces of fruit, which he left on the TV stand. I did not know if it was for me or not. I was swishing so I couldn't ask. He left.
I finished swishing, then washed up and got dressed. I washed a pair of underwear since I seem to be running out. I was listening to an interview on GMOs when two maids knocked on my door. The older one was training the younger one. They emptied the garbage and offered to make my bed. I asked if they could smell the carpet. The older one said no but the younger one thought it smelled like something burnt. They agreed to shampoo the carpet on Thursday.
After they left, I rewound the interview and finished it. I made breakfast and ate it, then washed the dishes. I called Beverly to tell her I would meet her at sewing,
I put my sewing project in my laptop bag along with some dried mango and banana. I drove to the church on Jordan. There were three tables of ladies there. I had to walk around and see the quilts they were working on. Beverly came in while I wasn't looking. She showed me the blue fabric she had bought for her quilt. I talked to her and several others. By 11:30 most everyone was gone. I got in her car and we went to the Asian market. I bought kimbap and gave her a taste. She liked it. We also shared some dried mango and a banana.
Then we went to a thrift shop off of University. The building was a lot bigger than it looked. Room after room after room of mostly glassware. Old but not cheap. Eventually I did find a glass pitcher for 5.25.
From there, we went to the Neighborhood Thrift shop. The front part was all clothing, but behind that was dishware. I picked out a coffee pot, a baking pan, a fry pan, some pieces of silverware and a baking spatula. Behind that was furniture. And we spied a small folding table. It was very lightweight and reminded me of the $300 ones that are sold for sewing retreats, though not quite as fancy. It wasn't marked so we asked the clerk if it was for sale. She said the lady who marks things wouldn't be back for 20 minutes and might have already sold it to someone else. We agreed to wait and went looking at other things. I hoped for a good result. I found a shower curtain and rings and two plastic water glasses. I did not find a mixing bowl. Then the pricing person returned and put a $10 tag on the table. Two other items needed prices as well and she put $1 on each one.
Then we took our cart to the front of the store to check out. Housewares were proclaimed to be 50% off. I am not sure if the clerk did that or not. She took 25% off the price of the table, which I thought was too low already. As she punched prices into her calculator, she wrapped items in the shower curtain and put others in a bag. The total was just over $20. I pulled out an extra $5 and told her to keep the change. I picked up the bag and looked for Beverly. When I did not see her in the store, I looked for her car and saw her putting the table in the back seat. I joined her there. Since she had to go to work, she drove me back to the church to get my car. I put the bag and the glass pitcher in my car. She put the table in my back seat. And then we left.
I drove back to the hotel. I brought in table. I undressed because I was so hot. Then I set up the table and covered it with plastic bags. I simmered cinnamon on the stove to ward off the smell of the carpet. I ate the kimbap with kimchi. Then I checked e-mail, for a short while. When I realized Chris wasn't coming home at the usual time, I got dressed and went to the post office by myself. There was no mail. I proceeded to the library where I returned two books. The third book was almost finished, so I sat on the bench outside to read it.
But long about 5pm it got too hot and I still wasn't finished. So I went back to motel. The room was too dark to read in, so I went to the breakfast room. There was no food, but the lights were on and the tables were empty. I sat and finished the book. I went back to the room thinking Chris would be there, but he wasn't. I ate some beef, and read e-mail. When I remembered the new fluoride filters that came in the mail yesterday, I retrieved them from the closet. I flushed them according to the instructions and it was much easier than last time. So I installed them in the Berkey.
I went to the car to get the water pitcher and the other stuff. But the coffee pot, utensils and shower curtain were not there. I sent Beverly a message on Facebook in case I had left them in her car, but she responded no. So they must be at the thrift shop.
I washed the glass pitcher and baking sheet and the top of the folding table.
I used the pitcher to fill the Berkey. Then I put my laptop on the table and cued up the first episode of the summit called GMOs Revealed. (www.gmosrevealed.com fyi). While listening, I responded to Myra's message.
Chris came home at 8. I kept listening and he changed his clothes and played on his laptop. I took breaks to run water through the Burkey. But it kept coming out white. So I ran more.
After the interview was over, we watched one episode of SHIELD. I checked the filter again and the water was still not quite clear. I took my evening supplements. I typed up my blog and posted it. After one more check of the filter, I went to bed.
* This was one of the quilts I saw today. It is a block of the month pattern that I haven't finished yet. *

No comments: