Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Recovery

I went to bed feeling cold and wondering if it was worth getting up to grab a blanket from another room. I woke up feeling comfortable, and then, about 7, the hot flashes started. Maybe the sun shining in warmed up the room? I drank a tall glass of water. Chris got snuggly. Then I drank a glass of mineral water.
When I got up, I rubbed some coconut oil on my sunburns. I looked out and saw that the pool still had some shade on it. I decided to swish for 20 minutes. While swishing, I checked the e-mail that came in during the night.
When the 20 minutes was up, I spit out the coconut oil and brushed my teeth. I put on my bathing suit and went out to the pool. My ankle was not entirely happy. I fished two tiny frogs out of the pool. Then I got in. But the shade was only underwater. As I did not want to get more sunburn, I swam a lap, then toweled off and went back to my room. I washed up and got dressed. I jotted notes for my blog while swishing with vitamin C. I listened to an audio on menopause. It was really good:
http://kellybroganmd.com/flipping-the-script-on-menopause-dr-christiane-northrup/?utm_source=Kelly+Brogan+MD+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4183ca0a95-Flipping+the+Script+on+Menopause&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d0f977a8c5-4183ca0a95-121772793

I went to the first floor kitchen to get a hardboiled egg and an avocado. I carried them up to the third floor. I sat at the table and ate my breakfast.
Cecily gave me a bag of ice with a towel wrapped around it. I sat with it on my ankle. Then she got a pot of water. Chris put tap water in it and boiled some water on the stove to make it hot enough. I sat outside and soaked my foot in it. Then I went back to the ice for awhile. I watched the cars go by. I watched the planes fly over the beach with banners streaming behind them. Chris brought me more hot water and I soaked my ankle one more time.
Then I asked him to bring me my food box and phone and book. I made my breakfast and ate it. I also had a bowl of fruit salad. I took some pics with my phone and texted with Kurt, although not all of the texts went through. I read my book.
When I noticed that Becca was outside, I went out, too. I sat in the shade, reading the book and talking to Becca. I looked down and saw that the pool was in the shade. I went inside and asked Cecily if she was ready to go to the pool.
I put on my suit and went downstairs. Chris was watching a movie. Cecily came down and we went out to the pool area. William decided to join us. The water was warm, like bath water. He and I swam while Cecily watched. Then Becca came out. But she thought the water was cold, so she sat in a lounge chair.
After a while I decided to go in the hot tub. I couldn't go all the way in because of the sunburn on my chest. Cecily and William went inside. Later, Becca left, too. I went back in the pool for a bit because it was so nice to move around without pain. Then I sat on a lounge chair with just my legs in the sun.
Then it was time to come in. I went to our old room to check e-mail on the laptop.
When I was finished with that, I took my book and sat in a chair on the deck outside our room. I read until Chris came to get me. Then he lifted the Burkey water filter and carried it into the house. I had been sitting there for hours(?) and never noticed it. He placed it in our bathroom.
He said we were leaving for supper in 20 minutes. I took a shower and got dressed. We went in two cars. Becca took her car and I rode with Al and Cecily and Chris. We went about 7 miles north to Mako Mike's, a seafood restaurant. We had reservations so we didn't have to wait. We were seated at a set of tables pushed together. A man came to take our drink order, and then we waited for some time. When the drinks came, he took our dinner order. I ordered the Neptune Crab. The place was busy and we had to wait again. He brought us breads and plates of olive oil and spices in the meantime. But the wait was worth it. The crab was delicious. And Cecily remarked over and over that her grouper was outstanding. She and Al and Becca polished off two bottles of wine. Cecily could not finish her dinner and put the rest in a to-go box. Another box held Olivia's pizza crusts (for Cecily) and a third held all the french fries that did not get eaten plus the corn bread from before the meal. I ate every bite of my crab and veggies.
Then Al paid the bill and we went home. Walking was difficult but not because of my ankle. It must have recovered. Maybe I swam too much? I took my book upstairs to read at the brightly lit kitchen table. Al watched a show about Elvis. Becca and Chris put some fruit salad through the blender with tequila and ice and lime juice. I didn't care for it but they drank it all. Olivia came up for some pecan pie. Cecily had some ice cream and I ate a bowl of fruit salad. She went to bed. Chris and Becca went outside to talk on the porch. I kept reading until Chris came in. We found a few more dishes to go in the washer, and Becca turned it on. Then we all retired to our rooms. Chris put extra blankets on our bed. I took my evening supplements with Burkey water. Then I sat at my laptop to post to my blog before going to bed.
* This is the view from our top deck. *

No comments: