Monday, August 14, 2017

When it rains, it pours

I woke up early because light was coming through the white curtains on our east-facing window. I checked my watch: 6am CST. So the local time was 7am. I tried to go back to sleep. My brain wandered and eventually decided that my phone might be on the table by the pool. Then the rain hit. At first I thought it didn't matter. By the time I could get to it, it would soaked no matter what. But then I just needed to know. So I threw a jacket over my night gown and got an umbrella. I went downstairs and looked out the back window. There was no phone on the table.
I went upstairs to check again. Cecily was up. I told her I couldn't find my phone and she said she couldn't find Al's computer. Then the conversation went other places. Becca came up and later Chris. Chris found my phone in my purse (yes, I looked there). Al came out. Becca turned the TV on so Cecily could watch the weather. We could see that there was a small storm on the east coast – directly over us. Lol. I stood at the window and took pics of the flooding. Soon the kids were up. I went back to my room to check e-mail and swish. Chris took a shower. Then I washed up and got dressed properly. I took my laptop with me to get an egg and an avocado out of the lower refrigerator. I ate it down there while listening to a video on intermittent fasting. I washed the dish and put it back.
I went back to my room, but then heard Olivia and Becca were going to brave the flooding to go to the beach. I put on my suit and went along. I also wore my Xero shoes. They made slogging through the water difficult. But they were good on the sand at the beach. Becca and I stood in the surf, enjoying the waves at knee height. Olivia stayed back because of jellyfish.
After a while, we went back. Olivia and I showered at the beach access to get the sand off. When we got back to the house, the kids got in the pool. I went in the hot tub. It was looking ok, but was too hot. Sadly the control panel did not work well so I could not turn it down. But I did turn on the jets. The sign said the jets would turn off after 20 minutes. So I stayed. Then Olivia got in with me. But the jets did not go off. When I had had enough, we got out and covered the tub. Then we got in the pool and it felt cold. After a bit of swimming, we got out. She laid in the sun to dry and I laid in the shade. When I was kind of dry, I came in and washed off again in the shower.
I made breakfast and ate it upstairs. Cecily was making another shopping list. I could not remember what I wanted. So Chris and Al took the list to the store. Then I remembered kimchi. Cecily had me write it on a piece of paper for the next trip.
She and Becca were watching the cooking channel. I sat down to be social. After an hour or so of that, I went downstairs. I got some seed cracker and a cucumber and ate it by the pool. Then I went back to my room to listen to another interview and drink some bone broth.
While the interview was playing, I played some solitaire through a link from my laptop's interface. Then it disappeared. I jotted some notes for my blog. Then I loaded another quilt pic into MS Paint and painstakingly removed all the background pixels.
Chris came down to let me know the plan for supper, which included waiting until Mike and Kelly showed up or 7:30, whichever came first. I asked if he could call them and see how far away they were. I went back to erasing pixels. Then Chris' phone rang. So I jumped up and carried it upstairs to him. It had stopped ringing so he called the number back. It was Mike saying they could not catch their cat to take it to the vet for safekeeping, so they were not coming. We were very disappointed. But then there was no point in waiting for supper. Al shucked the corn and Chris boiled it. Chris cut up chicken and beef. Cecily heated up tortillas. There were also bowls of tomatoes, cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, etc.
When supper was almost ready, I called the kids and they came right away.
We sat down for supper and Chris said the prayer. Then we ate. Many stories were told at the table, most of which I had heard before. At some point, Cecily went to bed. Then Becca. William came up to get a glass to take his meds. He took it back to his bathroom and it slipped. So Al helped him clean it up and we gave him a plastic one to use.
The party was over. I took my evening supplements. We decided to move into the other king master so that Olivia could have the shared bathroom to herself. Chris went in there to sleep and I stayed in our room to blog, and then join him in the other room.
* The 'canal' in the photo was a dry ditch before the rain. *

No comments: