Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Settling on a house

I got up soon after Chris left for work. I drank a quart of water. and swished with magnesium and coconut oil. I listened to interview on essential oils for stress reduction and sleep. I researched Burkey water filters.
Then the maid knocked on the door and wanted to clean the room. I told her I should be gone by 11. I washed up and got dressed. I put away stuff so the room would be easier to clean, Chris called and said we needed to go by Housing and reserve the house, plus he had no internet access. I took my machine and went to get him. On the way I missed the turn lane, got turned around, and found myself at gate1 where I made a u-turn.
I picked him up at work and drove us to Housing, He had to write a non-refundable check for $125 to reserve the house. It does not come off the first month's rent. Just another way for them to get money. First thought: with our luck, Chris will now get a message saying he has been offered a job elsewhere. Second thought: it might be worth it. We set a date of Aug 24th to move in.
We went back to the hotel. Chris stayed at the hotel to work since he had no internet access at work. I went through fabric pieces to see which ones I needed. I laid out the blocks I had on the bed. I was not particularly fond of the effect. I packed some fruit and a small amount of seed cracker for lunch. I jotted notes for my blog. Then the bank called to say my ATM card was ready.
On the way to quilting, I stopped by the bank to pick up the card. Then I drove to the church. I got there about 11. There was a new lady there who had some pretty purple and blue blocks she was working on. Was her name Lorraine? I set up my machine but spent more time talking. Then we all sat down to lunch together. I had an orange, a banana and a piece of seed cracker. Someone had brought a fruit salad so I had some of that. Victoria had brought a cake to celebrate the August birthdays. I declined that, but heard it was very very good.
We went back to sewing and chatting, but I still didn't get much done. But I stayed late with Lauri and got two blocks finished by 4. Due to the traffic, I drove straight back to the base and did not stop at the grocery store.
When I got back to the hotel room, the room was clean and the beds were made. But I was overwhelmed by the scent of whatever the staff used to mop the floor. I couldn't open the window so I held the door open for a bit. Chris didn't seem to mind it.
I suggested we go out to eat. Chris said we should wait until 5:30 to be sure the restaurant was open. So I made a tiny breakfast and ate it while reading e-mail. I was reading e-mail, and clicked on a 'read more' link. Instead of taking me to the article, it opened a new page and gave me a pup-up saying I had to enter my name and password to unlock my computer. The pop-up would not go away and would not let me change to another window or do anything else. I had heard of this kind of virus. Chris tried shutting it down with Task Manager, but when he re-opened Waterfox, it came back. Somehow he was able to close the window in the split second between closing the pop-up and its reappearance. Kudos to Chris!
Then we went out to eat at I Korea. I got the kalbetang (bone broth soup with beef) and he got the spicy chicken, which did not taste spicy to me. We spoke some Korean to the waitress which was fun. But I left feeling a little too full after eating all the soup and rice.
Afterward, we stopped at the Walmart neighborhood store for lemons and coconut water, but did not find the coconut water. It was raining when we came out. We went across the street to the Holiday International market. We did not find coconut water there either, but she promised to hold some kimbap for me the next day.
When we got back to the hotel, I worked on ordering a water filter system from Burkey. They offered free shipping, but not to PO boxes, so I had to pay an extra $40 to have it shipped Priority Mail. I didn't want it that fast at that price, but there was no other option. And I would have had to pay it had I ordered it from Korea.
We watched two episodes of Agents of SHIELD and I fell asleep. I don't know what it is about that show that tires me out so.
* This is the quilt Lauri was working on. *

No comments: