Friday, August 18, 2017

Last chance for a sunburn

I woke up hearing someone in the kitchen handling pots and pans. I went back to sleep. I woke up again later. I drank two large glasses of water from the Berkey filter. I started reading e-mail in bed. Chris got ideas, so e-mail took a backseat for awhile. I went back to reading. Later Chris told me Cecily and Becca were going to the beach. I put on my suit and hat and sunglasses. I took a towel and waited on the porch. I swished while I waited. Becca and Cecily soon emerged into the pool area. I went down the outside steps and joined them. I put my Xero shoes on because I saw a man spray the foliage on the other side of the street. We walked over the street to the beach access.
When we got to the beach, Cecily planted her chair and Becca and I spread our towels. We all went into the surf for a bit. Cecily came out first. I came out to dig a little hole in the sand so I could bury the coconut spit.
Becca and I played in the waves for awhile, then came out to warm up in the sun. I laid on my tummy and dug a hole in the sand to find the shell layer, but I never found it. Cecily packed up. She gave me a drink of the ice water she had brought. Then she went back to the house. Becca and I went back to the sea to play. It was a great day to be out. The sun was hot, the waves were cold, the tide was low and the crabs did a pretty good job of avoiding us. Becca was getting red from the sun, so we went back to the house. She showered and went in. I did a couple rounds of hot tub, pool, hot tub, pool for my ankle.
Then I went to my room and took a shower, hanging my towel and suit on the railing to dry. I was out of avocados so I got two eggs and seed crackers and went upstairs to eat. I gave Becca and Cecily and Al a taste of the seeds. Then I read e-mail for a while in my room.
Several hours later, I took my food box upstairs and made two breakfasts: one for today and one for tomorrow. I ate at the table.
Then I went to my room to get the fabric squares. I brought them up to the large dining room table. It was easier to sort them with lots of room. I might have sorted some piles twice, not remembering exactly what I had done in the car. I sorted into lights, darks, unsuitables, and large multiples. Then I sorted the unsuitables into too thin and not too thin. I also put 9 piles of multiples together in a color group. Cecily offered to count them for me. There were 159 squares. At 3.5 inches per square finished, the squares would make a 35 by 56 quilt top. With 5 inch borders, that would be a twin quilt.
Becca came up and the two started discussing supper. It was leftovers night. Chris was asked to join as well. I packed up my squares in careful bundles and put them in our room.
Chris got a phone call from the Housing people saying the house would not be ready by Thursday but we could move in the Monday after. Then he asked me to pack what I could so we could leave first thing in the morning. I went to our room. I selected an outfit for tomorrow. I put the towel and suit from this morning in the dryer. I packed up all the other clothes. I separated the snack food from the breakfast food, but then realized that he wasn't going to pack the food box in the car tonight. I emptied the Berkey water. I pulled out a book for tomorrow and packed the one I read. I drank a carton of bone broth while doing some tapping. I sat down on the bed to write up part of my blog for later. I read e-mail until it was time to slice the tomatoes for supper.
But when I got to the kitchen, Chris had already diced up tomatoes for pico de gallo. I sat at the large granite table in the kitchen, watching Chris and Becca and Cecily put together leftovers for supper. There were more than a dozen things on the menu. And each one had to be heated for a different amount of time. And it all had to be served hot at the same time.
And it pretty much was. We sat down and Chris said the blessing while we held hands. There wasn't much conversation while we ate. It was just that good. Cecily kept remarking to that effect. Me, I just kept eating; a little of this and a little of that.
After the kids were excused, the adults got out pecan pie and ice cream. There was only one piece left from the second pie. I ate the rest of the fruit salad since there was only a sandwich container of it left. I helped bag up the leftovers and put them away while Becca did the dishes. Cecily had an intense pain in her back and couldn't help.
And so, we sat and talked. Finally Cecily went to bed. Later Becca went to bed. The three of us talked about really old times; times only Al can remember. Along about 10pm, we went to bed so we could get up at 6 to get ready for our trip.
I wrote the rest of my blog and then it was lights out.

No comments: