Sunday, August 20, 2017

Reading between the lines

Chris' alarm went off at 6. I think I was already awake. But I waited for Chris to get up first. That did not seem to be working, so I did a little tapping and got up. I washed up and got dressed. I packed a few last things in my suitcase. I went to the downstairs fridge and got our food out and put it in a box. I took the watermelon half upstairs to wrap it with plastic wrap. Cecily got up and started unloading the dishwasher. I washed the blueberries and some strawberries and put them in the container Cecily gave me. I put ice in a bag and packed it in an insulated bag that the realty office provided, along with the fruit. I said goodbye to Cecily. Chris packed the car. We said goodbye to Becca. Chris said goodbye to Cecily. Al was still in bed. Then we headed out.
It was just after 7, so we were on schedule. We followed the directions of the WAZE app on Chris' phone. I drank some Burkey water from a Perrier bottle, and I drank a carton of coconut water. I peeled hard boiled eggs for us both, and some little oranges. I read a book for a long time.
Then I needed a restroom. I put in my request early but it was quite some time before Chris found a place to stop. He saw a Zaxby's from the highway and took the exit. As we pulled around and through the back entrance, a young lady in a uniform was sitting there. She told us that the restaurant was not open yet, except by invitation only. They were practicing for their grand opening. Well, we did not have invitations, but she had a pile of them and gave us two; good for a free lunch. Another sheet held a list of the restricted menu they were serving.
So we pulled around front and parked. As we came in, we were greeted by several employees. There were lots of employees standing around. I chose a salad from the list on the paper. Chris went to the counter to order and I went to the ladies room. It was very nice, and very needed. When I came out, Chris had finished ordering. He handed me the register tape and headed to the men's room. I sat at a booth, perusing the register tape. Then a number was called. I reread the tape to see if that number was on there. But then Chris came back and took the tape from me. He went to the counter and came back with a tray of salad and a burger. He said a prayer and we began to eat. People kept coming over to ask how everything was. It was all very good. Chris was only given one cup, so he filled it with water and we both had some. Then I took the unused packets of dressing and returned them to the people at the counter while he cleared the table. I left my napkin there before leaving the store so someone would have something to do.
And then we were on the road again. I started reading, but fell asleep. I am not sure how long I slept. We were whipping around curves in the highway, close to a wall and I was a little concerned. I offered to peel Chris an egg. He asked for some dates as well. Then I finished reading my book, between texts to my sister and brother (mostly about texting). The last page of the book indicated that the story was not over. But I could find no indication of what the following book was named.
Finally we reached Knoxville and found our hotel. I was surprised to see that there was no carpet in the room, and it was cold. I turned down the blower on the AC unit. Chris pulled up nearby restaurants on his WAZE app. I looked up two of them but the menus didn't have what I was looking for. Then I used my laptop to do a search. I found a restaurant called Stock and Barrel that used locally sourced ingredients for their food. That sounded good so I pulled up the map. Chris wasn't thrilled to see that it was in downtown Knoxville.
We were not hungry yet, so we read e-mail on our laptops. Chris had the office chair and I was sitting on the bed. My back complained after while. So I got up and walked around. I told Chris I was ready and he put down his game. I read him the address of the restaurant and he typed it into his phone. We followed it in the car to a parking garage downtown. We went round and round looking for a parking space. We found one on the third floor. Then we walked around till we found the restaurant. It was with other establishments in the center of town. There was a band playing outside and lots and lots of people. The hostess at Stock and Barrel said the wait time was an hour to an hour and a half. We decided that was too long and went back to the car.
On the way back to the hotel, Chris asked me to choose again. I searched with the WAZE app and got a different list of restaurants. I chose an Ethiopian one. Chris was happy with that, so we followed the directions to get there.
It was not far and not busy. But the service was not fast. The lady brought us spiced tea, spiced coffee and ice water. I was having hot flashes so it was welcome. I put a tea bag in the ice water and drank the spiced tea. It seems like we waited a long time for our food. When I ordered the lamb and asked for rice instead of bread, she said ok, but came back later to say they were out of rice. After some time, a man came by to say he found some rice and would that be ok? Ok. When the food came, it was good, but I think the lamb chunks were a little over done. Anyway, we ate every morsel. The lady brought me a fork to eat my dinner, but Chris ate his using the bread, which was soft and more pliable than a pancake. I guess that's how they do it.
I tried to text Kurt a pic, but it did not go through. Eventually we paid and left. We went back to the hotel. We watched one episode of SHIELD, but only one because the download speed made it pause now and then. Chris turned over to go to sleep and I stayed on my laptop to write to my blog. I skipped the pic because it was taking too long to download. Kurt texted me, saying to delete our conversation thread and maybe then I could text him without having to use the phone number links that he sent. I tried turning on the wifi and data settings and then I was able to send him a pic.
I noticed the toilet refilling itself every 20 minutes or so. So I shut the door and turned on the AC unit before I went to bed. I realized that my evening supplements were still in the car. So I brushed my teeth and then swished with mineral drops and decided that was the best I could do.
And then I put on my headphones and went to bed.

No comments: