Monday, September 18, 2017

The ice man cometh

I got up not too long after Chris left for work. I drank several glasses of water and listened to an interview from the Parasite Summit: Avoid sushi. Put paper bags in the grocery cart before you put the food in so the food doesn't touch the cart. Don't kiss dogs or cats. Cinnamon, garlic, vanilla, onion, turmeric, clove, rosemary, eucalyptus, and black pepper all help with quorum sensing and dealing with parasites.
While listening, I washed the bread machine inside and out. I tried to scrape hardened bread crumbs off of the paddle in the bread pan and noticed that the non-stick layer was coming off. I didn't want that in the bread. So I put the ingredients in the mixer. I found some loaf pans in garage but preferred the shape of the machine loaf pan for making sandwich bread. I wondered if I could stick it in the oven with parchment paper over the paddle (which wouldn't come out). After mixing the bread dough, I put it in the oven to rise, but the oven took a long time to get warm and the bread didn't look much risen after an hour. I kneaded it again. I turned on the oven, and it eventually got warm, but smelled like gas.
I called in work order for a leak in the back of the fridge, leaving a message because no one picked up. I heated water on the stove and put the mixing bowl over it to warm dough. I went ahead with another audio. I checked e-mail. When the dough was risen, I mixed it again, adding raisins. This time I put it in the bread pan with parchment paper. I let it rise again. I called the dealership and made an appointment to bring in my car. I turned on the oven to heat, and later put the bread in at 325. I made and ate breakfast. I followed along with a tapping audio, and did some more tapping on my own for feeling productive. I saw the mower man across the street. I called Housing again, mentioned the fridge and that our back yard still needed mowing. I looked up bake times for 325. But they suggested checking the internal temp. So I did, and it passed that test. I took it out and let it cool.
A man showed up at my door to address the fridge leak. He took everything out of the freezer and started pulling sheets if ice out. Lots of ice. Meanwhile, I cleaned the counter tops, and stove. He needed a heat gun so I got one from the garage. Then I made up supplements. But when I went to order a new one, I discovered that we had no internet.
After the man left, I went to quilting. There were lots of ladies there, unexpectedly. But we had a great time chatting. I talked and sewed. I ended up with 29 blocks. I was one piece short of another block. I sewed what I could but have to wait for the next shipment to get another piece of that fabric.
We packed up about 3. On the way back home, I stopped at the post office and found one piece of business mail. When I got back to the house, I put my sewing stuff in the guest room. I ate two pieces of leftover chicken. Then Chris came home. I checked the house mailbox (two pieces of mail for previous resident.)
I listened to an interview. Then a man mowed our back yard with riding mower and trimmed it with a weed eater, leaving it neat but full of grass clippings.
To enjoy the sunset, I read a book outside on the back porch. Then I ate a carrot and started listening to another interview. I paused it so we could put the boxes and paper out for recycling tomorrow. It might rain so I hope they come before that. I ironed several pieces of fabric that came from the wash. Chris made popcorn and then we watched one episode of Agatha Christie's Marple. Due to the length there wasn't time to watch another and Chris went to bed. I of course stayed up to recount the events of the day.
* This is Jodi's beautiful applique quilt top. *

No comments: