Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Two groups in one day

I got up about 7. I drank a quart of water with salt and vinegar and put on an audio:
Sugar is a primary driver of metabolic disease. A study that replaced refined sugar with refined starch, calorie for calorie, for just 10 days resulted in better (though not great) metabolic markers. Happiness and pleasure are different. Extreme pleasure (dopamine) leads to addiction, but you can't overdose on happiness (serotonin).
While listening, I chose some pieces of fabric for a charity block. Then I cut 5 inch fabric strips, and subcut into 2 blocks and 2 strips. Sewing was the next step, but the machine was not set up. I made and ate breakfast. I listened to a short audio talking about a study that concluded that users on smart phones are less assertive than users on desktop computers.
At 10:30, I watered the plants, and left for quilting. Beverly was already there. I sat with her and talked to her and a few others. Around 11:30 or so, we went to the Asian store for kimbap. I ate a few pieces in my car then drove to Bev's house. She let me use her machine to sew the block. I made 4-patch squares and half-square triangles and assembled them into a Jacob's Ladder block. I had to take several blocks out and turn them the right way. Beverly had been dehydrating apples and she gave me some slices. While I was sewing, it started raining. We chatted for a bit and then I went home.
The boxes and paper we put out for recycling were still on the curb, getting wet. I ate the rest of the kimbap, and ironed my block. I checked e-mail while listening to another audio. The rain stopped, so I went outside to read.
I heard Chris come home. He put veggies in the oven to roast. I started unpacking boxes of curtains and sorted them into piles based on how likely I am to use them in this house.
Before I finished, I suddenly looked at the time and discovered it was almost 6. I threw on my shoes and ran out to my car. I drove to The Threaded Needle Too. I texted Beverly at stop lights to let her know I was on my way. The parking lot was full so I parked out back. I went inside the store and walked to the back, where 13+ people were sitting at two tables. The meeting was already in session. Someone got me a chair and an agenda. The president talked about charity projects and fundraisers and sewing Saturdays and such. It sounded like very interesting stuff. Beverly came in a bit later. Show and tell was interesting and there was a demo of the Accu-quilt Go.
After the meeting, I talked to Amanda. Beverly and I thought about whether we wanted to join or not. Then I walked to my car while she watched, just in case I got mugged or something. I waved at her and drove home.
Chris was on his computer. He told me there were roasted vegetables on the stove and that I'd better eat them before he did. So I ate what I could and put the rest in the fridge. I sat down to read a book until Chris was ready.
We watched an episode of Ms. Marple. Then Chris sliced the bread loaf and made his sandwich for tomorrow. He said the bread pan was scratched as well as the paddle. So I looked for a replacement bread pan and paddle. There were some on Ebay for upwards of $30 and they were used and possibly scratched. I decided to check thrift shops and yard sales for another machine.
I wrote up my blog post and then realized I had turned in the charity block without ever taking a pic of it.
* This is the quilt Jane is working on. *

No comments: