Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Those scrappy nine-patches

I got up at 7:30. I drank a cup of water, then sewed for half an hour. One of the leaf blocks must have come out too small so the maker put a half inch border on it. Then it was a little too big so I had to trim it. To sew sashing strips on it, I had to press the seam allowances out of the way. There were two blocks like that.
I squeezed a lemon into a quart of water and drank it while reading e-mail. When I realized the recyclables were still sitting in the kitchen, I got dressed and sorted them and took the out to the curb.
When my e-mail was mostly read, I went to visit the Tuesday group. I had my rug project, but never actually got around to working on it. I talked to Jane and Susan and Beverly. I kept thinking the other Beverly was coming, but she had people doing some work at her house so she had to stay home.
On the way home, I stopped for kimbap. Then I went to the One Stop and got a ticket for the DMV. I waited about 20 minutes, then they called my number. I handed the lady our two car registrations and she told me the total. I was going to pay by credit card, but she said there would be a charge for that, so I wrote a check and went home.
I read e-mail as I ate the kimbap with kimchi. I got an e-mail from Becca that she wanted to drop off some fabric scraps but she did not have my number. So I tried calling her and then e-mailed her my number. Finally her husband called me and said they were at the front gate. So I went outside to check the mail and bring in the recycling container. Then they drove up. She handed me a sack of sorted and organized scraps! And she wondered why her phone did not ring when I called. I did not have an answer to that. They left and I took the fabric inside. Opening my mail, I found a 5 dollar bill from the Neilsen company.
Then I worked on the leaf block quilt. I put together three-bar sashing and nine-patches, forcing the corners to match up. I decided they would look better if they were all the same instead of being scrappy. Chris came home while I was sewing. He put the tags on the cars. He wondered why his cost more than mine. I did not have an answer to that.
Then he read his e-mail and practically exploded. The rent check was returned unpaid and the rental agent wanted a cashier's check asap. So Chris called the bank. It seems that Pen Fed bought out Fort Gordon Fed and retired the routing number on our remaining checks. I had never heard of such a thing. Pen Fed offered to send us some new checks for free. But the rental agent still wanted a cashier's check. So Chris told me to go get one tomorrow. Good thing we have a local account as well.
I continued to sew until about 7. Then I put a turkey burger in the toaster oven. While it heated up, I chopped garlic and made a salad. I caught up on the latest e-mail.
Then, a little after 8, we sat down to watch TV. Michele had recommended Riverdale so we watched one episode. We were not hooked and went back to watching Voyager, two episodes. Then we went to bed. But later I got up and wrote to my blog so I could sleep.
My goal was to drink a gallon of water today, but I lost count of the quarts. It was either 4 or 5 so I guess I did well.

No comments: