Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Dear Jane

I heard the alarm go off at 7:30. But I hadn't slept well, so I turned over for another half hour. I got up about 8. I sewed two small squares together, then turned on the router. I read e-mail and drank a quart of water. I listened to an interview while doing lajin. Then I put on some music for doing paida.
I took my green quilt top and went to the Sew Faithful gathering. Jane was showing her Dear Jane quilt that she had just finished. It was impressive and it took her less than a year. We talked at length and she showed me the book with the all the patterns in it. No two blocks are alike and the border is made of long, pieced triangles. We both would have liked to meet the original Jane who made that complicated quilt all those years ago.
Then I sat with Beverly and Beverly. I cut fleece strips as we talked. Anita came over and one Beverly left. Anita and the remaining Beverly spent some time adding up what she had put into a quilt of baby clothes.
When they were done, Beverly and I went to the Asian store for kimbap. I also got another large container of kimchi, already fermented. I was so hungry that I ate a few pieces in her car. But I am such a good friend that I did not open the kimchi container:)
We went to Brahan Spring Park. There we walked through a forested area with frisbee golf stands in it. We also walked around a football stadium. By the time we got back, we had walked 1.2 miles in half an hour. She took me back to the church. I picked up my car and drove home.
I ate my kimbap with the kimchi, followed by a banana. Then I took a piece of packing tape and patted it on the back of my calf where a sticker bush had scratched it and left tiny spines. Some came off with the tape. Then I put some hydrogen peroxide on a wad a toilet paper and gently scrubbed the area. The rest of the spines came off, but it still stung a little.
I read e-mail for awhile. I got the munchies and needed to put some distance between me and the kitchen. So I got out the mower and started on the back lawn. I had to mow over and over to get a good cut, so when the worst part was mown, I put the mower up and plugged in the battery to get a good charge. Then I checked the house mail and drove to the post office to check our box (nothing). When I got back, I turned my attention to sewing. I took the triangles from yesterday and matched them up in sets of 4. Then I sewed them together in those groups.
At 5, I picked dandelion in the back yard, then washed it with my salad greens and added olives and sunflower seeds and hummus and a boiled egg. I ate it while reading an article.
I went to the meeting of the modern quilt guild. I got there pretty quickly – I guess the lights on University are timed. I was only a few minutes late and the place was full. The president publicly thanked me for helping with the audit. She went on with her remarks and then we did 'sew and tell'. It was almost my turn and my phone rang. I tried to get it out of my purse and shut it off. They hung up just as I got a hold of it. So I checked the phone log and it came up 'cardiologist'. The only thing they could want at 6:15pm is a schedule change. So I let it go and did my show and tell with the two leaf block quilt tops. Then as show and tell progressed, I took pics with my phone.
After the meeting, I stayed to talk for a bit, then went home. It was such a nice night, clear and balmy. When I got home, I checked e-mail. Facebook said there was a message so I checked it. Seems my mother-in-law has been trying to call and not getting through and she got worried. So I called. Al answered because Cecily had gone to bed. We talked for close to an hour. He asked about Dad. And we talked about cataracts and cars and stress tests. After the call, I took my evening supplements and posted to my blog.

No comments: