Friday, December 28, 2018

From Va to DC

I got up at 10 hearing Dad moving around. Chris and I got up and folded up all the sheets and blankets and put the couch back together. I got dressed, and put stuff back on dining room table that had been moved for Christmas dinner.
When Dad was ready, I applied Poligrip on his dentures. I brushed and swished, and made breakfast. I ate it while reading e-mail. I shut down my laptop and packed it. I looked around for stuff to pack, and repacked my suitcase. I vacuumed the livingroom as Chris took out the luggage. We both said goodbye to Dad and got in the car.
Chris paused in the driveway to set the GPS at noon. Then he drove to DC in the rain. We listened to a Sherlock Holmes CD on the way. We arrived by three and carried our luggage in in spite of the rain. Marie said we could sleep in Carol's room since she was visiting her family in the Philipines.
I washed and sliced turmeric and ginger to make tea. I let it boil for a bit so the water would be darkly yellow. Then I divided it up among four water bottles. Cecily and Marie were making food for a party tonight. Chris got lunchmeats and cheese from the fridge and made himself a sandwich. Cecily said I could have the same, but on lettuce leaves. So I did that, and made two tasty roll-ups.
I sewed binding while watching food channel with Al and Chris. Then I went downstairs to check e-mail. I heard Michele come home, and later heard guests arrive. I quickly jotted notes for my blog, and then went upstairs to meet the guests.
It turned out to be Brian and Cindi whom I had met years ago. Later, Sam showed up, and then Pat, who had a box of assorted wines. Then Michele came in the door. I was surprised to see her since I thought I had already heard her come home from work.
Anyway, we all stood around in the kitchen talking. Then Al said we should move to the living room and sit down. So we did. There was more conversation and then Marie announced that the food was ready. We began moving toward the dining room where the table was set buffet style. There were chicken wings, meatballs, various dips, raw sliced vegetables, corn chips and crackers. I ate a few things, but left the crackers and chips alone.
Brian and Cindi had to leave. Most of us were in the dining room talking when Cecily said she wanted to talk too, so we should all go to the living room where she was. So, obediently, we did. The conversation continued. These were Marie's friends from high school. We covered political issues, football, education, early childhood, the Korean and Vietnam wars, living in Baghdad, escape rooms, etc. Cecily went to bed about 10. At 11:30 Marie thanked her guests for coming, and they left. Chris and I went downstairs to get ready for bed. I took my progesterone, which was running out. Then I brushed and swished and wrote to my blog, wishing I had taken some pictures today.
* This is Kurt, a faithful blog follower, showing off one of the t-shirts he got for Christmas. *

No comments: