Thursday, December 20, 2018

The case of the disappearing ID

The sleep app woke me early and for some reason I got up. I was in the kitchen when my alarm went off. So I got an early start to my day. I decided to sew the two-color binding on, but realized that to get the purple on the back, I would have to sew the binding to the back. And the only way to do that would be to trim the backing to fit the front. And to do that, I had to baste the edges together. So I started basting. But I ran out of time. I left it on the machine and went on to making coffee and exercising and meditating.
I started cleaning around 11. I mopped the bathroom and kitchen floors. Faye called and we talked for awhile. Later the UPS guy came in a U-Haul to pick up my watchband. I had it in a small box and was worried that the label he had was too big. But he took it. I finished cleaning then washed up and got dressed. I called Beverly to meet me at the Asian store for kimbap. But when I got there, they were out of kimbap. I went to the Korean clinic and gave Dr. Grace a gift. Then I went out to the parking lot to give Beverly her gift. She gave me a bag of fleece scraps. After she left, I went back inside to help the Korean doctors.
He had a form for renewing his business license. I looked it over, and told him what numbers to use. Then she told me all about her daughter's boyfriend while I soaked my feet in an ionic foot bath and used the shoulder massager. There was a foot massager which followed the foot bath. She told me I should come by on Friday and she would give me her homemade kimchi, which is very special. Then he told me he was stopped and given a warning because his insurance card had expired. I checked his e-mail and was able to go to the website and pull up the new ones. He printed them out and then I noticed that they had the wrong address. I tried calling the agent but there was no answer so I left a message.
She hugged me and I left. I drove home, using my ID to get in the gate. I heated some liver and onions in the toaster oven and made a salad. When I had eaten, I hung the wreath that Cecily sent. There was a message on the outside of the box saying not to hang it in a space between a front door and a storm door. Say what? Oh well. That's the only space we have.
I was eating seed crackers at 6:10 when I realized I had to leave right away to get to the church by 6:30. So I threw on my coat and headed over. As soon as I arrived, I ducked into the office to put the bank bag back. Then I joined the others who were talking about the stops we would make. We piled into 4 cars. I rode with the pastor. We went to one house on a winding steep road. Jennifer handed out books of Christmas music and jingle bells. We sang a bunch of songs and then bid the couple goodbye.
We went to a second house, and did the same thing. And a third house. It was Dawn's house and she used to be in the choir. It was nice to see her again. Then we went to the church so everyone could get their own car. I followed the pastor to Jim and Barbara's house where they had decorated to the nines and put out a spread. It was the annual choir party. I ate some almonds, some shrimp and some cheese. Jennifer told me how she made her macaroons. Doris told me all about milking cows. Then I noticed the time. I thanked Barbara for the party. I bid Jim goodbye. He said I should stay for the singing. Then Bill gave me a hard time for wanting to get in Gate 8 before it closed. He didn't see any reason why going out to Gate 9 in the dark was a problem.
I left in a hurry. As I drove, I fished through my purse with my right hand, looking for my ID, but I did not find it. I figured it would appear in the light. When I got to the gate, I handed him my previous ID. He noticed it was expired. I explained and gave him my driver's license. He punched holes in my expired ID and let me go.
I went home and parked. I searched the car and my purse, but no ID or hanging pocket. I called Jennifer and she said she'd already left the party. She texted me Barbara's number. I tried one of her macaroon and it was really good. Then I called Barbara. She said she'd look around and get back to me. I checked the car again. I checked the pockets in three different coats just in case. She didn't call for so long that I thought I had given her the wrong number. So I called her back. She did not find it, but the pastor was going out to search his truck. We watched two episodes of Travelers. I went to bed with Chris. While he slept, I got up to write to my blog. Still no word on the ID.
* A selfie I took with our pastor since I might never see him again. *

No comments: