Saturday, December 29, 2018

Saved by the bead

I wore my earplugs to bed to dampen the sound of the sump pump. They also dampened the sound of snoring. But in the morning there were footsteps over head and the sound of the washing machine and dryer trilling out their progress. I did not feel like getting up, so I rolled over. But eventually, that feeling went away and I did get up. Chris was still sleeping, so I brushed and swished and sewed some binding. Then I cleared e-mail and played a round of Solitaire. Chris got up and took a shower, then carried his laptop upstairs. I took a shower and got dressed. I carried my food box upstairs to make breakfast. Cecily asked for underwear to add to her laundry load so I went downstairs to find some.
I visited Michele in the computer room. I braided her hair. I told her there were gifts for her under the tree, then I went downstairs. Cecily went to get two piles of gifts, one for Chris and one for me. We all gathered in the living room and opened gifts alternately. I opened two pincushions, a pair of socks and a ruler foot. These were all things I had asked for but totally forgot about. Michele opened a stuffed pony, a hair towel, and a box from Faye which had more than I can remember. But Marie remarked on the headphones with cat ears and Michele wrapped the scarf around her neck and wore it for the rest of the day. Michele also got a card and a check from my Dad. Chris got at least a dozen pair of socks. I don't remember what else.
After the gift opening, Marie went out to shop with a friend. Al asked if anyone wanted to go to Harris Teeter since Cecily wanted ice cream. Michele and I went with him. Michele bought a hair brush and I hoped to find a new wire headband since the end bead came off of mine and the wire was scratching my head. But there was nothing like that.
When we got back, I noticed that it was a sunny day. So I suggested going for a walk and taking a dog. Al said he'd come with me so we each got a dog. The dogs were excited to go, but after passing just a few houses, Rowan just stopped. She didn't sniff anything, just stopped. After watching Jasper get so far ahead, she ran after him and I ran along. But then she just stopped again and wouldn't move. After a minute or so, she turned around and headed back. So Al and Jasper came back, too. When we got the dogs inside, Cecily wiped their paws. Rowan laid down. I went for a walk on my own around the neighborhood. And it got cold.
When I got back, I asked Chris to unlock the car. I searched it for the little end bead to my wire headband. I had just given up when I saw it on the seat. It wasn't there before. Anyway, I brought it in. Al gave me some glue to glue it back on. Then I left it sit to dry.
Cecily had the food channel on, so several of us watched it. Then she left the room to obsess about dinner. I went downstairs to read e-mail and listened to Nathan' video until 6:30. Then I went upstairs.
I watched Al slice the pork loin. We gathered in the dining room for supper. Chris said the prayer. Then we feasted on pork, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, green beans and apple crisp. The pork and potatoes were good, but the sauerkraut was bland. I liked another brand better. After the main meal, Marie served cake and ice cream. There were leftover cookies from last night. I ate two of the orange slices dipped in chocolate.
Chris took his laptop and went upstairs with Michele. Marie went to bed. Cecily and Al and I
watched something called God Friended Me. Cecily went to bed before it was over. Something else came on afterward and Al changed it to college football. He explained the intricacies of draft choices and free agents.
I boiled some water to make tea. I brushed and swished while listening to Nathan. Chris came downstairs and got in bed. I stopped to write to my blog.
* Michele is wearing the scarf her aunt Faye gave her. *

No comments: