Monday, December 24, 2018

Groceries

We stayed in bed late because we were up so late. I did not have my sleep alarm set. My phone probably rang, but it was in the other room and I was wearing ear plugs that Chris gave me.
Anyway, I got up, drank some water, made green tea, and finished the binding on the green wallhanging. I checked e-mail and ate a pre-made breakfast. I listened to another video. Then I shut down the computer and packed. Chris carried stuff out to the car while I made sure nothing was left behind. Then we checked out and were on our way.
We continued the book on CD by Clive Cussler. At the beginning of the book, the main characters talk about wanting a calm quiet vacation where no one is trying to kill them. I remarked to Chris that they'd better shoot the author to get that. Well, Clive writes himself into his books. There was one scene where the couple are in a pickle and an old man drives up to give them a lift into town and points them in the direction of their next clue. If they'd have shot him, their lives might have been easier after that.
We only stopped once on the way from Bristol to Midlothian. We called Dad from the car so he could let us in the house. Faye appeared while I was talking to Dad. He was in his usual brain fog. Faye and I chatted and then she gathered up all the trash from all the little places that he accumulates it. We talked about food for Christmas day and looked up recipes. She got the tabletop Christmas tree down from the attic. Then Faye took Dad and me to Fresh Market. She left and we shopped. It was slow going. At one point, he had to use the restroom so I put a bunch of things in the cart. His confusion made decision-making difficult. But we eventually got most of what was on the list. The potatoes looked bad and they were out of frozen peas. They did not have the sauerkraut I wanted either. When we got in line to pay, I called Chris. He was there before we finished. The checkout clerk told me how much they liked helping my dad and how cute he was. She mentioned that he always took his own groceries out and brought his cart back. Chris helped Dad get the cash out of his wallet. I watched the line of people behind him grow, but no one said anything. I wondered how he does this all on his own every week. Then we took the food out to the car and Chris drove us back to the house.
Chris brought the bags inside while I helped Dad out of the car. The food was put away in short order, which hasn't happened before. (There was also clear space in the dining room, which hasn't happened since long before Mom died. )
We all ate something from the fridge. I tried to eat the leftover chicken curry, but it had gone bad. Dad said he thought we wanted to eat it at Christmas time, otherwise he would have eaten it after Thanksgiving. I ate half an avocado, some chicken, some carrots, and some brick-hard cheese. I gave Dad a packet of vitamin C. As we talked, I noticed that Dad was much clearer and more coherent. I wondered if his meds were causing the brain fog. He said the primidone made him dizzy so he had to balance the dizziness against the strength of his tremors.
Dad wanted to run the dishwasher but I convinced him to wait because we were going to bed. I called William to see how he was doing, and he was planning on going to work so he must have felt much better. Then I brushed and read e-mail while swishing. I drank some kava tea. Chris opened the couch and we dressed the hide-a-bed. I turned off as many lights as I could and we went to bed. Lying in bed I realized that I hadn't posted to my blog. Oh well, first thing tomorrow.
* These are the banana cookies that we ate on the way. *

No comments: