Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The priceless look

I woke up at 7:30 EST. I stayed in bed hoping to go back to sleep, but it didn't happen. So I got up. I went to the kitchen for water. I saw someone had put water in the measuring cup with traces of coconut oil in it. I fished most of the pieces out and decided to pour the rest outside. The temp was 36, so I put on shoes. I was in my pajamas, but it was going to be a quick trip. I went out the back door, leaving it ajar. I poured out the water, then came back. As I opened the screen door, it created a suction that pulled the locked door shut. I may have said a few unladylike words. I knocked on the door but no one woke up. I knocked on the kitchen window. Finally I walked around to the front door. Surprisingly, it was open. So I rushed in, hoping none of the neighbors saw me.
I drank water, then sewed some of the binding. I brushed and swished, and got on my laptop. I opened the Jackie Lawson advent calendar and clicked on the days I had missed. I watched more of a video from yesterday.
I watered the plants in the kitchen and living room. They did not perk up so I watered them again. I emptied the dishwasher. Dad wanted help restacking it because he wasn't sure what in the sink should be washed. His tremor gave him trouble, so I put denture cream on his upper denture. I looked up how to apply denture powder and thought that looked easier for someone with a shaky hand.
I made copies of his exercise sheets. I cut out the diagrams and taped them together to make one sheet. I posted it on the fridge as a reminder. I showed Kurt my EmWave2. We tried the EMF meter on it, and it turned yellow. But then we had trouble finding a spot in this house that wasn't yellow, so we were not sure we had a good reading. We tried my compass app. I found out that it worked better with the wi-fi on.
At my request, Chris took our food boxes and luggage to the car. Kurt cleared the diningroom table. I wiped the plastic cover, then put a nice table cloth over it. I put plates on the table. I fished out Grandma's vegetable dishes and meat platter. Faye arrived with a sweet potato casserole. Chris put it in the oven with the pork. She put glasses on the table.
Dad was just sitting, so I showed him the denture video. He seemed to like the idea. I called up some Christmas songs on Youtube and sang with Dad.
It was well after 3 and Kevin was still 20 minutes away. So we sat down to eat. Chris said the prayer and then we passed around the pork, peas, onions, mashed potatoes, and sauerkraut. It was all so good. Faye was done eating when Kevin arrived so she gave up her seat. Then Kevin filled his plate. Mostly the rest of us were done, just saving a bit of room for the sweet potato casserole. The oven ran cool so it was taking longer than expected. But Dad kept eating. And eating. When Faye brought the casserole out, everyone had some. It was sweet, which was good since we did not have dessert. Dad kept eating. I was hoping for leftovers to eat the rest of this week, but there wasn't much left.
After dinner, Faye put the dishes in the dishwasher and washed Grandma's china. Since Kurt wanted to leave by 5 and it was already after 5, we settled into the living room to hand out presents. I handed out mine first. Then Faye did hers. I was surprised to get a wheeled sewing machine cart! They are expensive, but she said Black Friday was good to her. She handed out the cards from Dad. Each one had a check. There was something for Patrick, too. Finally Kurt brought Faye's gift (from William) in from the car. He stood there with a large heavy box saying 'take a picture'. So I took his pic, but what he wanted was for me to photograph the look on Faye's face when she saw her new printer. It was priceless, but I missed the best part.
Then Kurt said goodbye and headed for his trip back to northern Virginia. Kevin carried the printer out to their car and stumbled over a root. So they left fairly soon after. I had a discussion with Dad about his safety while driving under the influence of Primidone. One foggy brain trying to convince another foggy brain that it was too foggy to drive, did not work. Chris tried to help me out, but Dad was not convinced there was a problem. While he talked, I took two short videos of him for future reference.
I guess things got pretty dull then, because Patrick left. Then William went home, too. I tried to catch up on e-mail. I had just started my blog when Dad asked me to help with putting out a week's worth of pills. It went well at first, with all the one-a-day pills but he got bogged down in the primidone, which he takes two days on and one day off. I was not happy to see him taking a statin and an nsaid every day. He should at least be taking CoQ10 with that statin. I took pics of his pill cases for future reference.
Then I sat down to write my blog. Dad obsessed about the pill schedule into February. I finished my blog and downloaded the pics and videos. I hoped to be in bed soon.
* This is Faye before we started, not her 'I don't believe it' look after seeing the printer. That one was blurry. *

No comments: