Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Back on track ... or not

My alarm woke me at 7:30 and I think I slept pretty well last night. My back ached, however. So after brushing and while swishing, I sat with the heating pad and read a few more pages from Elaine's book. The chapter on asthma read like sales copy. Sigh.
After 20 minutes, I got dressed and turned on the router. I moved more things in preparation for the duct-cleaners. I hid the toothbrushes in a drawer. They probably drape everything but I am not taking chances. I also put my instruments away.
Then I sat at my laptop with the chillow behind my back. I checked e-mail and ate breakfast. Then I went to quilting. I saw the duct-cleaning truck at Stacey's house. I figured my house was next. But I went to make dog beds. When I got there, Anita and Thelma were sewing the casings and stuffing them. I greeted the group and Jane showed me her latest wallhanging. I conversed with others too and showed them my quilt top. I never did get to help with the dog beds, but I did bring one to drop off.
When I left there, I went to the Asian store for kimbap and kimchi. So that's what I ate for lunch when I got home. When the kimbap was gone, I remembered the recyclables. The truck hadn't come yet, so I broke down a bunch of Amazon boxes and took them out to the bin. Sadly, I stepped half on the curb and rolled my left foot sideways to an extreme angle, causing me to drop to the ground in severe pain. There was no one around. So I sat up, moved the spilled boxes to the bin, then stood up. I could only bear to take 2 or 3 steps at a time, only putting weight on my heel. When I paused in front of the flower pots, I picked up the watering can and gave them a drink. Then I continued through the front door to my rolling computer chair. I took the chillow off the chair and dropped it to the floor where I could rest my foot on it. I scrolled through a video on quilts to take my mind off of it. I did some tapping for the pain and shock of 'Why Me?'. Over the last few weeks I had been struggling to find meaning in all my back trouble. And now this. Have I offended the big guy?
Finally I called my next door neighbor, but I got her answering machine. So I called the pastor's wife who lives on the corner. She came over and I told her what happened. I asked her to get the rolling chair without arms, and my special shoes for when my ankle hurts. She also filled my water pitcher so I could drink. And she got me wet paper towel with soap so I could wash my abrasions. Then she brought my donut cushion in from the car. The duct people arrived and she let them in. I thanked her and she went home saying to call anytime. I talked to Linda on the phone while they sucked dust out of the vents. But they were done in such a short time that I wondered if they got all of them.
My back wanted me to stand up and my foot wanted me to sit down. It did not hurt so long as I put no weight on it and the toes moved fine. To please both parts, I ended up putting in a movie and laying on the couch with my feet up. Kurt called during the movie. I paused it to talk to him. We chit-chatted for over an hour. I ate some pork with kimchi. I called Julia next door and asked her to get the mail and park my car in the driveway. She offered to take the trash as well so I put it out the front door.
I swept the floor because it felt like the chair rollers were caught on something. Then I rolled to my laptop to type some notes for my blog. Afterward, when I went to the livingroom to finish the movie, the remote stopped working. So I had to roll over to the player to get it started again. I watched it from there.
After the movie, I called Chris, but he was having supper with a couple there and promised to call me later. Then I called Dad and he sounded surprisingly coherent. But he was trying to get to bed early. I looked up actors from the movie on my laptop. Then I went to the livingroom to watch another movie called “A Cinderella Story”. It was a little predictable. Ha. Anyway, it was also after 11. I was glad I had my notes written. I took some magnesium and posted my blog entry while enjoying the chillow on my foot. And hopefully I will get to bed with no trouble.
* This is Jane's wallhanging *

No comments: