Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The best bad day I ever had

Tuesday

I got up about 8. I made lemon water, and read e-mail. I listened to Catherine Austin Fitts: Every implication of the financial coup is being blamed on the virus, even the depletion of our pension funds and social security.

I went to Rusty's house to scrub the grout. I tried different cleaners and different scrubbers, but nothing was quick or easy. Then Brian called to say he had stuff to take to the swap shop. He came by to get the keys. When I saw him, I jumped up and ran to get the keys. They slipped from my hand and I stooped to scoop them up... and my back spasmed. I dropped to the floor. Brian was watching from the window of the locked front door. After a minute on my back, I scooched myself over to the door with my elbows and managed to turn the knob. He came in and told me how amusing it was to watch. We were not amused. He brought my phone over and I called Chris, but he did not answer. I called his office and a lady answered and said he was out. However, she got in touch with him somehow because it wasn't long before he arrived.

We talked about my options. Past history told me that I had a choice of living on the floor for a week, or calling an ambulance and riding through the 80 twists and turns of the mountain pass to a hospital. I told the guys that maybe just laying on a stretcher that rises up might get me on my feet. Brian went home and nailed some 2x4's to a piece of plywood and brought it back. I nudged myself onto it while texting with Jaimie and trying to contact Saronna to tell her I wouldn't make our playdate. Brian came back with Chris and they raised the head of the board until I was vertical. It worked perfectly and painlessly! I was amazed, and able to walk without pain. Much better than the two options I have used in the past.

Chris and I walked home because I was afraid to sit in the car. I felt pretty good. I made breakfast. Chris brought in a package on the front step. It was a watch battery. He installed it in my back-up watch. I did not understand why all three batteries did not come together. He rubbed arnica cream on my back. Then, he went back to work.

I sat down to use the heating pad and read e-mail. The heating pad would not turn on. As I was eating, my back spasmed again. I forced myself to get up. I got my phone and called Chris. I ate standing up while I waited for him to arrive. When he did, I had him get the heating pad going and bring me a better chair with higher arms. He wanted to stay but I told him to go back to work. I told him Brian needed to stay nearby in case we had to do it all again. He said the EMS folk were just sitting around looking for something to do so we'll call them next time.

I finished breakfast and e-mail. I looked for my meds but could not find them. It was clear that I should be moving around rather than sitting. So I walked Kristen's package to the post office and mailed it. I walked to Saronna's house and stood around chatting. I brought some finger lights for her kids. When she sat to feed the baby, I left and went to Jenni's house. By then school was out. She was up for walking, so we walked around the school block. Then she let me try out her massage chair. It was great! I thanked her and walked home.

I stopped to get a drink, then walked to Rusty's house where Jaimie was finishing up the floor. We talked about this and that. She gave me the key to Wilson's house so I can turn it in. Finally I walked home. Chris was getting his supper. I ate some cayenne cheese sticks from yesterday, and lots of cherry tomatoes. I have been eating them every day since they started ripening in Aug. They were very prolific!

After supper I read e-mail for awhile. Jaimie came by with the vacuum cleaner that Mercedes lent me. Michele called to talk to Chris. I got to talk to her as well. Afterward, I made tea and we watched one episode of Person of Interest. He rubbed Icy Hot on my back. Then we searched the house again for meds and found them, mostly outdated. However, the lidocaine patches were not in there. I took one pill. We watched a second episode. Then I sat down to type up my blog. Chris went to bed, and I went later, in pain, and hoping to be fine by tomorrow.

No comments: