Friday, September 23, 2022

Kugelhopf

Wednesday

I got up at 8:30, having had trouble staying asleep. I watered the plants at home and some gopher holes. No gophers crawled out. Then I started coffee morning and put on some music. I did my exercises, drybrushing, etc and tapped.

I kept checking Facebook messages because Charity was asking me questions about my car so she could determine what kind of oil and filter I needed. I took pics of the stickers inside the door, but none of them told her what she needed to know.

I cleaned the bathrooms and kitchen. My vacuum was at the other house so I skipped that. I took a shower and got dressed. I went to Charity's house since it was two doors down from the one I am cleaning. She could not find the appropriate sticker either so she asked me to pop the hood.

The first thing we noticed was that mice had been chewing and nesting near the engine. There were no labels telling how big the engine was. She checked the oil. It was not low but it was dirty. I asked about buying an extra battery and she said that was ok but you have to keep topping it off. We looked for the battery and could not find it, even with the owner's manual, which seemed to be purposely unhelpful. It showed where to connect jumper cables, but there was no battery there.

Finally we agreed to do it later. I went to the house to clean, but only had 15 minutes before I had to go home and changed shoes to go walking. I met Diane and Michelle at the gym and we walked for half an hour, then went our separate ways.

I went to the post office and then home. I looked at bread recipes to find a German one. I went to the commissary to get moth balls for the mice, and a few other things. Jenni was bagging so I left her a $5 because I didn't have any ones. I took my groceries home.

I got a message from Verizon asking me to finish signing up. Thinking it was spam, I ignored it and went back to the house to clean. But then I got a call from Faye asking me to approve it. I hung up and turned on my data, and tried. It didn't work. A Verizon lady called to ask for Faye's number, but in trying to bring it up, the call dropped. Faye called back and I went home to try it on the laptop. As I was driving, there was a man jogging in the middle of the road with headphones on. He did not hear me drive up behind him. I followed him a bit, then called out the window. But he still did not hear me. I had to toot the horn, which seem to scare him because he scrambled to the sidewalk and glared at me.

When I got home and clicked on the message, it approved it right away without me having to sign in. Faye and I talked a little more, then I went back to the house to clean. This time I got the upstairs done, nearly two hours of work, before Chris called. By then it was dark, so I packed up and went home.

Actually I got stopped on the way home. The policeman said I didn't stop at the sign. I had trouble finding my registration with his flashing lights hitting me from all sides (in my mirrors). Sadly it seemed to take longer than it needed to. Finally he wrote me a Dugway ticket, which is more like a warning. It put four points on my Dugway record. He said if I got 12 in a year, the commander could revoke my driving privileges. I smiled at that. The man seemed not to know who I was and I didn't tell him. I just said he was right to stop me, thanked him, and went home.

I had a bowl of yeast, sugar and water sitting on the counter. It was kind of bubbly, but I expected more because of how long it had been sitting there. I got out the recipe for Kugelhopf. I mixed up the dough and put it in the bread machine. Then I worked on the filling. It called for semi-sweet chocolate. So I looked up substitutions. But they were all different! The same stuff (cocoa, sugar, oil), but in very different amounts. Each one proclaimed to be equal to an ounce of chocolate although they ranged from 3T to 7T of ingredients. So I decided to do it by weight. I put in 5 oz of Nutella and 3 oz of raw cacao. Because this is my fasting day, I kept telling myself not to lick my fingers, but it didn't work.

I measured out the rest of the ingredients and put them in the oven to keep overnight. I worked on my blog while the dough was mixing, then put it in the fridge. I couldn't find my bundlt pan, so I messaged Tonja to see if there was one at the swap shop. She said no, but I could borrow hers. I indicated that I would come by in the morning.

I finished my blog, then took a moth ball and went out to my car. However, it was too dark to see the exact location of the nest and I couldn't find a flashlight, so I left the ball on top of the oil tank. I looked up the battery location online, and it is in the trunk under the spare tire! I stayed up way too late reading, then put some stuff away and went to bed.

No comments: