Saturday, November 18, 2023

Friendsgiving

Friday

I got up around 8. Chris had been up at 5 getting the turkey in the oven. I got ready for the day. I gave the tower garden its usual rotation and focused the red light on a tomato plant. I cut up sweet potatoes into big chunks to boil. The ones on top were only touching the water.

I took scratch paper and staff paper and Jingle Bell Rock and went to the chapel for Math Morning. Saronna and kids were waiting for me. I unlocked the doors and we set up in the fellowship hall. Casey didn't come. I worked on writing a trumpet part to Jingle Bell Rock while the kids did their homework. A couple of times Sophia asked for my assistance. But I got through 2 of 3 pages of JBR by 10am.

We packed up, locked up, and left. I went home. I poured the water out of the sweet potato pan. We packed for Tooele, and listened to the book on tape and we went. We shopped at Luckeys, Melanie's, and Macey's, then went back to base. We hit the commissary for a few last things.

We unpacked food, and I made breakfast. I ate it while reading messages, then proofed some yeast and filled the bread machine with the other ingredients. Chris had cooked the turkey neck for me and I ate that. I used some of the leftover juice in the bread dough.

Then I started one of the cranberry/sweet potato casseroles. I cut up uncooked sweet potatoes into a bowl along with an apple. It was supposed to be two apples and I don't understand how I only cut up one. Anyway I topped it with cranberries and spices and a little maple syrup. Chris took the turkey out and put my casserole in. I set a timer.

Then I started the back-up casserole using the cooked sweet potatoes. It was layers of sweet potato, cranberries, brown sugar and butter. I paused to take the dough from the machine and made a braided form. I finished the second casserole and put it in the oven, and stirred the first one.. The timer was at 0, but hadn't rung. I set it again. When the dough had risen, I put it in the oven, too, and set another timer. I made a walnut topping for the second casserole. The first one looked pretty dry, so I made a similar topping for it. When one of the timers rang (the other one never made a noise) I added topping to the first one, and later the second one.

Chris said it was time to go so he cut up the turkey and made a pan of light meat and one of dark meat. I kept hinting that the legs should stay here, but no. He left. I stayed and pulled out all the food in the oven. Only the back-up casserole was done. So I turned the oven down to 205 and left.

I brought the casserole to the ACS building wrapped in a blanket. The place was full and they had set up 4 more tables. Lots of people. They hadn't started eating yet. I put my casserole dish on the appropriate table. Keli invited me to sit with her. So I did. People were talking and Chris was going from group to group. Finally he got everyone's attention and announced that the chaplain would pray. So we bowed our heads for grace. Then Chris told the group that families with kids should go first, then the first row, then the second row, etc. So we were last.

Finally we got in line. The plates were really big, so we didn't need seconds. I got a turkey leg, and a little of a lot of things. I chatted with Keli as I ate. I kept looking for Saronna. After clearing my plate, I went to the dessert table. I got a piece of pumpkin pie, a tree made of Reece's cups, and multi-colored layer jello. So pretty and so tasty! I got a sugar rush afterward.

Keli and her husband left. Jenni came by and we talked. Then she was off. Finally I saw Sophia and Moira, who had just gotten the cast off her hand. I encouraged them to go through the line, because people were already packing up food. Later the CSM started a game for the kids, kind of like Simon Says.

I packed up my casserole and took it out to my car and put it in the passenger seat. When I went around to the driver's side, it didn't look right. Not my car. Ooops. I went back around to get my casserole and noticed the book on CD case on the floor. It was Chris' car. I went down the line to my car, got in and headed home, stopping at the post office to lock the swap shop. Once home, I took the remaining casserole out and the bread, too. Neither were burnt, but both definitely done.

Michelle had texted that she wanted me to bring her some turkey. So I asked if she wanted some casserole, too. Yes. How about bread? NO! So I worked on my blog. Chris came home with the turkey. He said there was only dark meat left. He put it away. I kept on working.

I put some turkey and some casserole in little tubs for Michelle. I filled a water bottle with tea. Then I went to game night at Michelle's house with the water container. Michelle talked to me while I played the game. I thought I knew what to do which would unlock everything. Well, it didn't, so I wrestled with solving some puzzles. Then at 11, I wrapped it up and said goodbye and went home. Chris was already in bed, so I shut stuff off and joined him.

No comments: