Saturday, December 24, 2011

Looking at lights


After breakfast, Mom and dad went to the fitness center. I wrapped presents that Dad bought
yesterday. I also did two loads of laundry, adding some from Mom and Dad's bedroom. I read e-mail and went for a walk, actually two. Chris finished the laundry. When I got back, Mom and Dad were back. Dad and I fixed lunch. I read some newspapers that Dad was going to throw under the cabinet. Kurt showed up at 4. We talked. Chris made chili for supper. Four of us ate in the kitchen and Chris ate in the den. Then we dressed for the Christmas eve service. Kurt and I took the Oldsmobile so we could look at lights later. Mom, Dad and Chris took a K car. We got there 20 minutes early. The pre-service music was beautiful. The lights were low to show off the candles. But it was hard to read the hymn book. The service was a series of meditation, carols, and prayers. Then a group of young people dressed as shepherds, angels, etc made a vignette of the manger scene. One young angel had a Barbie in her hand. She reminded me of Michele at that age and I had to blink back the tears. After the service, we had to wait to get out of the church. I had not realized that Katie Kopp was here. So we wanted to hear what she had to say since her daughter Janet had just passed away. That made me want to cry too. Sometime after my parents had left, Kurt and I went home, detouring through one neighborhood to see Christmas lights. When we got back to the house, Kurt and Chris tried to figure out why Kurt's smart phone says it is connected to Dad's router, but it isn't. No luck. Patrick came over to talk to Kurt. I dressed Mom for bed, then brought her out to take pills. I helped Kurt wrap my present without looking at it. He reminded me that he DID tell me what he wanted for Christmas and I forgot so I have no gift for him. And now it is time for lights out.

No comments: