Friday, December 16, 2011

Rolling out the red carpet


I got up in time to kiss Chris goodbye. Then I used Bob's computer to read e-mail. Finally I fixed breakfast and got dressed. I spent most of my time in the kitchen, unpacking boxes and organizing the drawers. I found a lot of kitchen implements. I think we have enough for 4 or 5 kitchens: over a dozen wooden spoons, 3 whisks, 4 potato mashers, 6 pancake flippers, etc. I remember wondering how many tweezery things we needed. I was trying to come up with the word 'tongs', but it was too late. My mind fixated on the phrase 'tweezery things' and repeated it over and over until I thought I'd go mad. Speaking of going mad, did I mention I found more mugs? Seriously, how many mugs does a couple need? I think 8 should be enough.
As I was unpacking, I thought of Forest Gump saying "Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're going to get". Yes, but it is still chocolate. Opening these boxes is more like eating Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. Some are a wonderful surprise and some are so 'not' that even dipping them in chocolate wouldn't help.
I made a large salad for lunch. Just as I finished it, Bob came by to fix the stove top. He turned off the electricity (not an easy task because the panel is located in the middle of the sewing cabinets, currently blocked by boxes). He pulled out the control panel and found lots of disconnected wires. He really tried to figure out how to reconnect them, but the schematic was no help. So he said he'd have to get back to me on that. I reminded him that his laptop was here, and he said I could hold on to it for awhile. Whoo-hoo! I love this mobile broadband. After he left, I read for awhile. It was wet and raining on and off, so I had to stay inside. While I was reading, Chris came home. There had been a Christmas party at work and everyone got to leave afterwards. The macaroni and cheese he brought was completely gone. He emptied the dishwasher and carried out piles of paper. I emptied some boxes in the livingroom. Then he helped me roll out the silk carpet we bought in Korea. It was nice, but did not 'upgrade' the room like I thought it would. He went down in the basement to find a VCR and hook it up to the TV. We watched the French version of Cyrano De Bergerac with English subtitles. It put me to sleep. So Chris turned it off and we went to bed. However, without the TV on, I found that I could not sleep. I did not know if it was too early, or if it was skipping supper. Maybe posting to my blog will help.

No comments: