Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Year's Eve

Mom was finished with breakfast when I got up. I took my time preparing my breakfast as I used a spoonful of coconut oil for a 20 minute oil-pulling session. Oil-pulling is a detox method I learned about years ago but forgot until recently. Claims run from teeth-whitening, to clearer skin, to less painful joints. It involves swishing oil in the mouth for 20 minutes and then spitting it out. After breakfast I sat across from Mom, quilting around that star. She read a book, and is nearly finished with most of the books she got for Christmas. Dad worked on a K-car, draining the oil. I fixed Mom lunch and we were eating as Dad came in for his lunch. He worked on the car, cleaned the gutters, and then finished putting a new filter in the car. I sat with Mom, checked e-mail, quilted, and took a walk. Chris went shopping, then made pork, gnocchi, and a tomato-cheese salad for supper. After supper, I quilted, Mom read, Dad did something outside. I wanted to vacuum the rugs in the livingroom and dining room but did not want to leave Mom alone. She decided to turn in early, so I put her in the tub for her Saturday night bath. Then Dad helped her finish while I packed my suitcase and fixed breakfast for tomorrow. When he came out, I went back to help her brush her teeth, take her pill, and go to bed. Then I had time to post to my blog.
I did not mean to stay up until midnight, but it looks likely. I want wish Happy New Year to all my readers, even though most of them arrived at this point 14 hours ago. Tomorrow we leave for Alabama, and our house without internet (or cable to watch the Iowa caucus). So I leave you with some new words to a familiar song:
Now it's time to say goodbye to Earl and all his kin.
They would like to thank us folks for kindly dropping in.
We're all invited back next year to this locality
To have a heapin' helpin' of his hospitality.

No comments: