Saturday, December 3, 2011

Estate sale



It was a normal morning, with breakfast and all that. I e-mailed Deb to see if they were going shopping and maybe yard-saling today. She said there was only one sale, an estate sale, and so they were going to go to Wal-Mart, Kohls, Belk's, etc and then to thrift stores, and I was welcome to join them at any time. So I looked up the estate sale, memorized the route on a map, and then headed out. It was a good plan, but the map and the terrain did not match. I got lost. But eventually I did get there by driving around my elbow to get to my nose. It was probably 10 or 11. As I parked, someone came up behind me. She had been following me for several miles. So I introduced myself and thought maybe we could be yardsale friends. We got separated looking through the house. We were told that the items in the basement would be for sale next week but that he would show it to us today. Too good to pass up. 'Cluttered' would not begin to describe the basement. Anyway, I had a good time looking around. I was in no hurry because there were no other sales to go to. I bought 2 wool rugs, wrapping paper, and a desk lamp. I also had dibs on the couch. It was very old-fashioned, and not attractive, but he was willing to sell it for $30. I figured I could throw a quilt over it. Only thing is, it was too covered in 'stuff' for me to sit on it. So he gave me his number and said I could come back later in the week to try it out and that he would deliver it in his truck. Well, I wasn't sure I could find it again, so this very nice lady said I could follow her until we got to Jordan road. In order to not hold her up, I followed her as soon as I got the rugs in the car. Sadly I forgot to give my name and number to the lady who arrived when I did. This new lady pulled into a parking lot near Jordan and I followed her. She drew me a map to get back to the sale, and gave me her name and number in case I needed anything, even someone to talk to. People sure are nice around here. Then I followed her to Jordan, she turned right and I turned left. I did not see Chris pull up behind me at the light. When I got back to the apt, he was not there so I assumed he was shopping, which he was. When he got back he told me that he was following me for a little while until he had to turn off to go to the Asian store. I brought the lamp and the wrapping paper inside. Then he suggested that we go to Home Depot to buy appliances. I had been nagging him for some time about this, so I said we could go as soon as I had a bite to eat. Then we went. First we looked at their scratch-n-dent items, but they were more expensive than some of the regular merchandize. It was easy to pick out a frig because few were short enough to fit in the kitchen. It was $850 in white, but only $700 if we got a black one. So we got a black one. Choosing a washer/dryer was harder. There is plenty of room so size was no object. We settled on an LG pair. Mid-range in price. Sadly not at a great sale price like Black Friday, but 10% off. When we paid, they told us they would deliver next Friday. We also had another house key made for me. And we went home. I called my friend and she said to meet her at Belk's on University drive. Amazingly it was an almost straight shot out of gate 9. And across the street from Jo-Anns. I found her and Stacy waiting in her van for another friend. We all went inside. But as it turns out, her friend was in a different Belk's. So we walked the mall while Susan drove to us. Then we went thrift shop hopping. At the first one, I found matching lamps, and several sofas, but the ladies said I could do better. So we went on to another one. Here I found two very nice brass lamps with old, cracked shades. They were marked $50 each. The man on staff got them down for me. He seemed surprised at the price as well. I told him I couldn't pay more than $20, so he ripped off the $50 tags and put on $20 tags. Such a nice guy. There were extra shades, so I found a nice pair and he let me exchange them for the old ones, free. Really nice guy. I took the tags inside and paid for the lamps. Then he loaded them in Deb's car and gave me the old shades in case I could revive them. Have I mentioned how nice he is? We made one more stop, at a place called The Saving Way. Here I found a blue sleeper sofa. $50 and for another $15 it could be delivered. Whoah! But I wanted Chris' opinion, so I took pics of it. Deb drove us back to the mall to our respective cars. I found that driving back in the dark was much harder than driving over in the daylight. But I made it. I brought one lamp inside. Chris was watching BBT. I joined him. We had leftovers for supper. Then I got on Skype to find MaryAnn, but she wasn't on. We also watched episodes of NCIS. I called the lady that I met at the laundry on Friday. We set a meeting place to go see the concert tomorrow. And then it was blogtime and bedtime.

1 comment:

Lighting Deals said...

The lamp is simply beautiful. Regardless of what it looks like, still it gives light in out dark rooms.