Thursday, March 22, 2012

'Hanging' around

I awoke to hear Faye playing the piano. She went to bed as late as I did, why didn't she sleep in? Kurt was already gone. Anyway, it was time to get up, so I did. I spent a few minutes jumping on the rebounder. Faye had already eaten breakfast, so I made mine. Chris left the bread machine open, which is a signal to me that he needs more bread. I accommodated his request. After breakfast we looked through my collection of pictures and made a plan for where to hang them. We hung the ones above the piano first. We were working on the ones above the sideboard when Bob and Colby arrived. Bob brought me a bookcase from a demolition he was doing somewhere else. He and Colby put it in the garage and added some stability with a nail and a shim. He looked where the washer drains, but could not find a problem. He sprayed down the tube with the inlet hose and the water did not back up. So he left. Faye and I put in a load of wash and watched it go through the cycle. The lid is see-through, so we did. It was better than watching grass grow, but not by much. When the tub finally drained, the water gushed out of the pipe and we caught most of it with a bucket. I paused it and called Bob. But by the time he came over, the machine insisted on finishing its drain cycle, and we had to run another one for him to see. He ran his 15 foot snake through the clean out and came up with nothing. He tried putting the outlet hose in the clean-out opening and it worked. Then he put it back in the tube, and it still worked. Why is it working now when he did not find any blockages to remove? Faye and I spent the rest of the day in picture-hanging activities. After we finished in the dining room, we did the space over the Korean chests. Those were harder to hang since they had wire on the back instead of toothed strips. So we arranged them on a large piece of paper, traced them, marked the hanger positions, and taped the whole thing to the wall. We hammered nails in the markings and then pulled the paper off. It was very accurate, but then we decided some of the pictures needed to be higher. We also unwrapped the Korean vases and placed them underneath. When Chris came home, we talked to him while he fixed supper. We ate in the dining room. After a little after-supper e-mail, we retired to the basement to watch B5. Chris went to bed after two episodes. Faye and I watched another one, then went up to mark positions for two more pics above the couch. We are saving the actual pounding for tomorrow.

No comments: