Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Need a little space?

This morning I got up a little early to get ready for our 'trip'. Kurt was especially excited. He has been looking forward to visiting the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. And right now they also have the Von Braun exhibit. We took some food and planned to be there at 9 when they opened so we could also go to Harmony Park Safari afterwards. But we had some trouble finding it, so it was more like 9:30 when we arrived. We walked in through the gift shop and bought tickets. There is an IMAX theatre there so we decided to get the combo tickets which include admission and a movie for $25. Kurt chose to see "Space Junk" and Faye and I chose "Hubble". At the front door was a LARGE dinosaur built from K'Nex. But that pic is in Kurt's camera. Sadly, I thought the Von Braun exhibit was all there was so I went through it slowly even though it wasn't that interesting to me. But after Kurt left us to see his movie, we discovered rides and outdoor stuff that was much more interesting. And then all the kids showed up. Must have been a field trip. We rode the ACCELERATOR and then went to see our movie. Kurt was out by then. Hubble was great and of course IMAX movies are always something special. After the movie, we met Kurt near the largest rocket. Inside the nearest building was a duplicate, laid on its side. The three of us rode the SPACE SHOT, which whisked us up to the top and dropped us into free fall. I hadn't seen it running so did not know what to expect. The ride had a bungee effect and we bounced to a stop. Fun but short. After a little walking, we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. Faye and Kurt ordered sandwiches. I declined. We did a little more looking around and then went out to the car. I ate a banana, apple and some seaweed. We were tired and considered leaving, but I wanted to see everything so I wouldn't have to pay another $20 to come back some other time. So we went back to see the last of it. On our way out, we stopped at the photo counter. They took our picture in front of a green screen on our way in. So on the way out they wanted to sell us the picture with a starry background. But it was $20. Too much. By the time we left it was after 4 so we did not go to Harmony Park, just home. Chris had loaded the crock pot with corned beef and veggies. So when he got home, supper was ready and we ate. Faye and Kurt and I discussed where best to hang the large ornate mirror. The discussion went on and on and then must have changed to something else, and then it was time for choir practice. I took my folder this time. The director handed out a lot of new music. We sang through it, and were dismissed. Doris, who is helping me identify plants, brought me a handout and lent me two books on weeds. I gave her the name and phone number of the lady who sells the honey. I got home about 9. Chris was tired and did not want to watch TV, so Faye and Kurt and I watched some CSI and some B5. Then it was bedtime for all of us.

No comments: