Friday, August 10, 2012

More yard work



I slept in a little later because I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Still, 7:30 isn't too bad. My heel was still bothering me so I couldn't jump. I did squats instead. I read e-mail and I ate breakfast. I called a few people that I haven't talked to in a while. Around 11:30 I put on my suit and laid out in the sun. Again, it couldn't decide whether to shine or hide behind a cloud. Then I took a heavy duty clipper to the bushes out front. Clipping the bushes is not in our rental agreement, but I cannot imagine the property management people coming by to do it. Also, I was stewing about our tenants not paying and not taking care of the property. In a similar situation, Chris and Michele would go play a video game where they can kill bad guys. I don't enjoy those, but I didn't mind clipping the heck out of some bushes. I made quite a pile. Then I took a break for water, kimchi, and e-mail. I was hot and sweaty but did not want to leave the job half done. I opened up the tarp and loaded all the trimmings onto it. I was especially careful with the holly leaves. They are not foot-friendly. Or even Fern-friendly. They are sharp and tough. When everything was loaded, I pulled the tarp to the back of the yard and unloaded it with a rake. Then I pulled the tarp under the carport to keep it out of the sun. I went inside to cool off, clean up, and put on clean clothes. I read e-mail until Chris called to say he'd meet me at the car repair place. So I jumped in the car and drove over there. I dropped off my key and told the guy it needed an oil change and to fix the AC. Then I went out to the curb to wait for Chris. It turns out that I needn't have jumped in the car so quickly. It took him a lot longer to get there than it took me. I am not so used to his new car yet, so as cars drove up, I looked at their headlights. Why? Because I love shiny headlights, full of reflective surfaces, and his car has a nice set. Several cars drove by with the same headlights, but they weren't Chris. When he did arrive, I jumped in the car and we went home. He helped me shake the dirt off of the tarp and fold it up. He fixed turkey burgers for me and a burrito for him. He scraped some turkey juice with spices off of the bottom of the glass baking dish. The turkey burger was so good that I had to ask "Was it good for you, too?" After eating, reading e-mail, and selecting dice, he went to play Battletech with some friends. By then or soon after, it started raining. I put some frozen fruit in a bowl and stood right outside the door to eat it, watching the rain. I had more e-mail to read, and then I did some tapping, and practiced my trombone. Then I decided it was time to work on the fabric pile. If the amount of time I spend on an activity shows how much I like it, then I must like yard work more than sewing. If that is true, then it is only because yard work has that instant gratification aspect. I mow and the yard looks better. I sew, and then there is fabric and thread everywhere. But I digress. I sorted more of my old stash, and washed a pile of whites. I put away some of what I had washed and ironed previously. But that was not easy because all the colors will have to be shifted around to fit in the cupboards. It is not a task I am looking forward to. I would rather be sewing, but the piles of fabric make it impossible right now. When the fabric was semi-dry, I pulled out of the dryer and laid it neatly on the washing machine until I can iron it. It is almost 11 and I just want to go to bed.

No comments: