Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What I should have done in the first place

There was quite a thunderstorm last night. It kept me up, and the pain in my ankle did not help. I did some tapping for the pain. The pain did not subside, but I fell asleep, which was just as good. When I woke up, I decided that I would not use my ankle (or foot ) for the whole day. I had already tried heat and cold, but now it was time to get serious. It may not seem like much of a decision, but I figured it would feel better after awhile and then I would be tempted to use it. The hardest temptation to resist was to test it periodically to see if the point of pain changed. Mostly I resisted.
Chris brought me the office chair with no back or arms. It rolls nicely. When I got up, I rolled myself out to the hall. I had to jump it up onto the carpet, and a few more jumps 'till I got to my laptop in the den. During the morning I rolled up part of the hall carpet so I could easily and quickly roll to the bathroom. I also moved some chairs in the den so I could roll into the kitchen without going over the carpet. I read e-mail, and called my parents. I got a list of all my Mom's meds. When Dad heard that I was only getting around on one foot, he was worried that I wasn't getting enough aerobic exercise. I could not convince him that hopping was aerobic. After lunch I sat in the recliner to work Sudoku puzzles while icing my ankle. An audio interview was playing at the same time. The interviewee was espousing the benefits of getting sunlight every day. So after the audio was over, I went outside and hopped down the steps, holding on to supports on both sides. I hopped over the the low brick wall. I laid in the grass for a bit, then picked and ate some tomatoes growing on the fence. I tapped for my Mom and her meds. Going back in the house I climbed up on my hands and knees. My knees were not happy. I practiced my trombone back in the computer room. That's when the phone rang. I made the mistake of trying to hop to the kitchen fast enough to catch it. I lost my balance and instinctively put my other foot down for support. An explosion of pain, but it didn't last long. It was Charlie saying if he didn't come on Wednesday, he would come Thursday to cut the lawn. I read more e-mail and one last audio. Chris came home right after it ended. I needed to lay down and put my foot up. He got me some extra pillows. After a while I rolled out to the kitchen for supper. After supper he was indisposed and his phone rang. I hopped to get it, but was too slow. I sat down. Then my phone rang. I did catch that one just in the nick of time. It was my m-i-l. When she couldn't get a hold of Chris, she called me. She is canning tomatoes and wondered if we could use some. I did a few more Sudoku puzzles, then watched TV upstairs. I could not face going down the cellar steps. Chris worked on his laptop until he decided it was bedtime. I finished the show I was watching and posted this to my blog.
* pic from Paducah *

No comments: