Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cleaning the rug

It was a hot and sunny day, a good day to clean a rug. But I knew Charlie was coming over to mow the lawn so I waited. Waiting was not difficult because I had breakfast and e-mail to entertain me. When I heard Charlie's mower, I wrote the check and then waited for him to finish the back yard. I know he likes the hot peppers, so I took a bag with me when I went to deliver the check. He accepted the check and we chatted for a bit. I told him I was going to pick him some peppers and he said to leave the bag hanging on the fence. But when I got to the plant, the peppers were gone. I wondered if the deer had eaten them. Or maybe it was the dear that got them. Yes, there they were in the frig. I pulled out some for Charlie and hung them on the fence. By then he was in the front yard or working across the street. So I pulled out the rug and the steam cleaner. It was not the upright one that I had in mind. Maybe that one is in Pinehurst? So I sprinkled the rug with water and sucked it back out. Several times. Each time I opened the steamer to find dirty water, so I emptied it out and threw more water on the rug. It was a lot of work. I kept telling myself that this was the last time, but when I saw dirty water, I did it again. The sun was so hot that I had to wear shoes on the pavement. I did not need to sunbathe. I took several breaks for water and e-mail. When I had had enough (for several lifetimes, and getting sunburned), I pronounced it as clean as it was going to get. I did NOT open the steamer to check the water. I left the rug to dry in the sun. I needed to drink more water. I skipped the e-mail and went to my sewing room. I moved more fabric around. I completed the stacks of blue, and black, and pink. Previously I have claimed progress based on faith because it wasn't visible. But now, if you squint, you can just make out a tiny corner of it. There still isn't room to sew, but there is hope.
I was putting the steamer away when Chris drove up. He fixed supper and I fixed a salad. After we ate, we brought the rug inside. I was dismayed to find the bottom was still damp, and it was covered in water spots. Maybe wool rugs shouldn't get wet? After we watched MASH, finishing season 6, we draped the rug over the couch to dry. Since we had finished the last DVD of MASH, Chris asked me if there was anything else I wanted to see. So I told him, and that is why I did not post to my blog last night.

No comments: