Sunday, August 19, 2012

The hunt for poison ivy

It was raining when I woke up. I thought about going to church, but I didn't trust my ankle to drive, especially for braking on wet streets. So I read e-mail, and had breakfast. I opened the garage door and turned on the lights so I could sort fabric. This time instead of washing, drying and ironing, I actually put stacks of fabric away. I filled the garage cabinets with multi-coloreds, and one shelf of the chifferobe with quarter-yard cuts. I emptied two bins! There is plenty more to do and it will require shifting fabric stacks already in cupboards. After lunch I dressed in my hunting outfit (rubber gloves and pants) to attack the poison ivy. One piece turned out not to be it, but the other one made up for it. It had a root as thick as my pinky. I used the big shovel to get out as much as I could. But once part of it came up, I couldn't find the rest of it 'cause all the roots in there look alike. I stalked the rest of the yard looking for other appearances. When I didn't find any, I threw the bag with the ivy in the trash bin. I considered using the shovel to dig out poke weed since I was wearing shoes, but didn't want to take a chance with my ankle. I washed the gloves and the tools. It was sunny by then, so I put on my bathing suit and laid out in the sun. I was hoping Chris would come home then, but he didn't, so I went inside before I burned. I was on my computer when I heard him drive up. I went out to greet him. We missed each other... He made himself supper, and I had a turkey burger. I heard the man next door hammering on his gate so I went over to see if he needed a hand. He built himself a new gate and was just finishing. He gave me some tomatoes and I gave him some pickled turnip leaves. Guess who got the better deal? I came in when it got dark. I sat in front of the TV to work a puzzle. When Chris finished on the computer, we went downstairs to watch episodes of MASH.
* Here are my floppy flowers before I trimmed them *

No comments: