Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pulling the rug out (or not)

I started the first audio when I came out to the den. I cleared a bit of e-mail, then made breakfast, and folded the laundry. When the audio was over, there were no more, so I went downstairs to sweep the carpet in front of the TV. I had bought it on a yardsale last November and it had a few spots on it so I was determined to clean it. I blew the debris off of the driveway in preparation to lay the rug out. But the sky looked too much like rain. Instead, I mowed the ditch, and couldn't resist more mowing. When my ankle hurt, I stopped to plant a tomato which was growing in the planter. As I worked I wrote a poem in my head:
"Mater mater hot potater, plant it now to pick it later, go out back and dig a crater when the chance of rain is greater." It isn't great poetry but my mind has to be busy with something. I trimmed the driveway, collected the trimmngs, and finished mowing that side. I also mowed around the tomato plants and watered the new planting. I put my tools away and salted the driveway to discourage future grass. How come it is so persistent in the cracks, but won't grow in the bare spots? I came in for water and to cool off. After a bit of lunch, I worked on sorting my fabrics. I actually made progress. The quilt backings are all in one place, as are the teals. I moved the stripes to the chifferobe. The reds are all put away and the blues are cleaned up to the point that they might all fit in one spot. I also ironed all the fabric lying on the washing machine. I heard Chris come home and start supper. I was so tired I had to lay on the couch to recoup enough energy to go up the steps. When I got to the kitchen, supper was ready. I sat in the recliner with my bowl and Sudoku book. When the bowl was empty, I made a salad. When Chris was finished, we went down to watch Sherlock Holmes, which we saw when Michele was here. We still can't figure out how he did it.
* This is the view from the balcony of the lodge at Lake Guntersville state park. *

No comments: