Monday, August 6, 2012

To buy a car

We spent the night at the motel. The alarm went off at 5:30 EST, but it was almost 5:30 CST when we got up. I had breakfast and got my stuff together. Chris showered and dressed. He took our stuff out to the car. We were back on the road. We finished the book on CD and pulled out another one. It was "Last Days of Krypton". We had checked it out before but did not finish it. We heard three more discs of it before we arrived at our house. Amazingly it was only 10:30 am. There was still time to put the Monday morning trash out. We carried our baggage in. I put a lot of it away. I started a loaf of bread. I trolled the garden for tomatoes. Mostly they were cherry tomatoes so I ate them. I also found a husk tomato plant which apparently volunteered (since I did not plant it). But its fruits are not ripe yet. The vine out back has taken over the whole section. I may have to cut it back a bit so as to preserve the lilies and garlic growing out there. Chris put a load of laundry in the washer. I was clearing out a box of Michele's stuff when he came down. He carried her boxes out to the 'donate' pile in the garage. And then he was ready to buy a car, so we headed out in mine. He had already been to all the dealerships and knew what he wanted most. First we went to the Chevrolet dealership to buy a Cruise. But they would not meet his price. So then we went to the VW place for a turbo diesel. We spent a lot of time there, but again, they would not come down enough and kept explaining why they couldn't. Neither place had the car he wanted in stock. So we went back to the Chevy place. He made them another offer and they countered. Finally they agreed on price. But just when I thought it was all over, they wanted him to sign papers, one of which had the phrase 'as is'. So more discussion ensued. By 4 pm, and with no lunch, I had had it. I told Chris I wanted to drive home and if he wanted to come, he'd have to buy a car. The receptionist felt sorry for me and gave me her banana. She was very sweet. I decided that I never wanted to go car shopping again. Finally we were taken in the back with a financial person to finalize the deal. They said we can pick it up after 3 tomorrow. I don't know where it will be coming from. So we got to go home. We ate leftovers out of the fridge, and threw out some stuff that went bad over the last week. I was really tired, so I laid down for awhile. Then I cleared out my suitcase. I went back outside to get a pic since I hadn't gotten one at the dealership. I found two cucumbers. I ate all of one, and only part of the other. It had a rotten core from one end to the other. Then we went down to watch TV. We found Mannequin on VHS. It is a good movie, but the tape itself has seen better days. The sound is going soft and mushy.

No comments: