Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hanging with Bertha

I heard Chris leave, and then slept until 8:15. I read e-mail, boiled water, exercised, and listened to an audio. Then I juiced kale and carrots. I did a mock clean up to save time so I could have breakfast and still be ready for Bertha at 10:30. She drove us to the Von Braun Center and parked in the deck. When we got to the room where they were setting up for the quilt show, the lady in charge said they really needed 2 six foot ladders. Both Bertha and I had one, so we left to get them, or so I thought. Bertha went to her son-in-laws place because he had an 8 foot ladder. Getting it in her car was a feat. It went up to the front seat and stuck out the back. I could see 6 feet of space on top of it, so she borrowed a 6 foot ladder, too. I had to sit in the back seat, holding the top ladder in place. We returned to the VBC. At first there was nothing to do. Most of the quilt were still in the judging area. I ate my seaweed while Bertha had her energy bars. Then we picked up another lady and hung the sheets that separated the quilts when they hang back to back. Getting the angles right so all the poles would fit together was a struggle, but we got the hang of it. When the new lady left, two men took over, climbing up our ladders and doing our job without so much as a by-your-leave. They did not know how to do it at first. But I guess they thought their unmatched last pair of chromosomes made them better qualified for the job. Bertha and I helped as ground crew until all the judged quilts were hung. Then we left, exhausted. She dropped me off at home. I ate some meatloaf and cheese. I checked outside for peppers and was surprised to see 3 big boxes on back porch. I did not order it and didn't think Chris had. So I checked the label. It was our address, but another name. I looked up the name in phone book and then on internet. No luck. I gave up. I read e-mail and listen to an audio. Then I played an audio while resting in bed. I stopped the audio when Chris came home. He found another name in phone book, and it turned out that the boxes belong to the people across the street. There were two vehicles in the driveway and a light in the house, but no one would answer the doorbell. Nor the phone. He called several times during the evening. I ate a salad for supper, and went to choir practice. I dropped off the CD's for the sunday school craft. On the way home I stopped at CVS to get prints of some pics on my camera, When I got home, I weighed the prints and it came to just over one ounce. Chris was ready to watch TV, so we went downstairs to see two episodes of Forever Knight.
*  At the VBC, poles are laid out in prep for hanging quilts  *

No comments: